Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 8se tripod issue?

Hi I have just purchased a new Celestron Nexstar 8se I have installed the spreader/accessory tray inbetween the three legs of the tripod and tightened the main nut up but after doing so I can pull two of tripod legs away from the spreader creating a gap of around 3 inches and I’m just wondering if this is normal or has anyone else experienced this thanks jim 

Regardless of which way up the spreader needs to be I have always found that that once the central nut has been tightened, if I jiggle a couple of the tripod legs a little I can usually tighten up the nut a little more.    🙂 

• Like 2

When I turn the tripod upside down two of the legs spread out further than the other one, so when I set the tripod up and the spreader is in position and central nut tightened so the spreader touches all three tripod legs the spreader only has resistance against one of the legs, and I can still extended  two of the legs further outwards away from the spreader by several inches, 

As Peter says, turn the tripod upside down to check that the legs all splay to an equal angle and there is no manufacturing defect.  The spreader should touch all three legs.

FYI, with the legs retracted, the three tripod feet should form an equilateral triangle about 61 to 62 cm.  on each side.   If yours differs, you should be able to figure out where the problem lies.

(In practice I don't touch the spreader unless I am transporting the setup to a remote site.  With the telescopic legs retracted the tripod (and scope) can be carried through a domestic doorway so there is no need to dismantle anything.)

We have seen problems with faulty Sky-watcher tripods, but not with Celestron SE tripods AFAIK. 

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1

I have the same legs and spreader/tray, in white..

2016175701_CG-4tripod.jpg.902fda498a19e5d14ae2af1ec30ce5c1.jpg

The legs, once extended outwards are supposed to stop, as shown.

Then, the spreader/tray is ratcheted upwards until it stops, against all three legs...

1287873180_legspreader.jpg.6a654087df9377c2edd5dd2daf3c3f83.jpg

Once that's done, if one or more of the legs loosen, outward, then there's a defect somewhere.  Those legs are to come to a complete stop once evenly splayed.  

Here's something I did, otherwise: where the legs join to the tripod-hub, I found these absolutely deplorable, despicable, vinyl washers, intended to take up the slack at those unions.  Twelve I found, four for each leg...

909582986_plasticwasher2.jpg.e35fae84e5c8ee3adc043c720cba72d5.jpg

I replaced the twelve, with six, rather, and of 0.008"/0.2032mm-thick phosphor-bronze sheet...

88474038_legwashers.jpg.8850d8dcb26c4d9f91ef7f0c659941a2.jpg

The legs now open and close as a massive door of a bank's vault.  I don't even have to use the spreader/tray.

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 3

"I have the same legs and spreader/tray., in white.."

Alan, that looks like a Skywatcher tripod to me, not a Celestron SE tripod.   That might be a good tip about the washers though, and the spreader is identical asides from the colour. My used Skywatcher EQ-5 tripod has legs that are too loose after some idiot dismantled it completely for shipping.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

"I have the same legs and spreader/tray., in white.."

Alan, that looks like a Skywatcher tripod to me, not a Celestron SE tripod.   That might be a good tip about the washers though, and the spreader is identical asides from the colour. My used Skywatcher EQ-5 tripod has legs that are too loose after some idiot dismantled it completely for shipping.

My own tripod and spreader/tray are from a Celestron CG-4, identical to that of the Sky-Watcher EQ-5.

The spreader/tray is identical for the SE.  Where the legs join, that appears identical, aside from the plate atop...

xMjxT9B.jpg

However, I would hope that all of that in black is of metal.  

All of these tripods are made by Synta, or by one of its third-parties, overseas...

Orion, of California...

OJPmdFT.jpg

Saxon, of Australia...

WLyylim.jpg

...also Celestron and Sky-Watcher.

Edited by Alan64

Hello just a quick update i loosened the tripod legs installed the spreader so the tripod was level and tightened the bolts up, this has now seemed to have resolved the issue, thankyou all for your reply’s much appreciated jim

Edited by Jimzstar

Hi all still not got confidence in the tripod here’s a few pics with the spreader installed as you can see once installed I can pull two of the legs outwards creating a gap between two of the legs and spreader. Obviously I can move the legs back towards the spread and level the tripod but I’m still unsure these legs are supposed to come further out than the leg with the Celestron logo on

669B61D6-C573-46E8-81CB-FCC01082318E.jpeg

03BFD4CE-EF1D-4467-BF59-EC87F3018718.jpeg

2DE7645F-50F3-48C5-AF65-6BF7715AE048.jpeg

• Like 1

It doesn't look right.  From my earlier post:

"FYI, with the legs retracted, the three tripod feet should form an equilateral triangle about 61 to 62 cm.  on each side.   If yours differs, you should be able to figure out where the problem lies."

IF you think there is a problem, stop asking us, and send it back under warranty.

• Like 1

There must be a stop point on the underneath of the tripod hub that prevents the legs from spreading too far. Is there any difference in the tension of the working versus non-working legs. They should be stiff to open, not loose.  If the working one is stiffer, I'd try tightening the loose leg bolts to see if that helps. It would be annoying to take/send the tripod back only to find it needs to be tightened.

If you have the tripod upside-down can you see anywhere that the working leg hits a 'stopper' that the loose legs slip over or are missing?

• Like 1

Hi all I sent an email with pictures to Celestron’s technical support team 

within 24 hours they responded and confirmed something was not quite right, they contact the Celestron importers in the UK and within another 24 hours I had a brand spanking new one delivered and it’s perfect, all the legs now open up equally and the spreader can be installed flush and the tripod sits level. The original tripod has now be collected and returned for inspection.

thankyou all for your reply’s and help as a newbie it’s has been much appreciated.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...