NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dust in Taurus

mackiedlm

This is hopefully the start of a 4 panel mosaic of the Taurus Molecular Cloud. But Irish weather being what it is, 4 panels could take some time!

This is only 6 hours with a Sharpstar 61EDPHii, an ASI2600mc and a  L-pro filter

DT_P1-1.thumb.png.a9fc4544ab4305507bdb80c98ae1014e.png

C&C Appreciated

• Like 25

21 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

This is hopefully the start of a 4 panel mosaic of the Taurus Molecular Cloud. But Irish weather being what it is, 4 panels could take some time!

This is only 6 hours with a Sharpstar 61EDPHii, an ASI2600mc and a  L-pro filter

DT_P1-1.thumb.png.a9fc4544ab4305507bdb80c98ae1014e.png

C&C Appreciated

Phenomenal!  How do you get so much separation between the dust and the background?

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Phenomenal!  How do you get so much separation between the dust and the background?

Thanks Adam,

If I'm honest this turned out to be a less difficult process than some other projects, like where you have dust but then also red Ha and some reflection nebulae and you are trying to get them all showing at once.

The real key on this one was to use exponential transformation in Pixinsight - that really brought the dust out. Then some very careful curves. I think there is more much fainter dust in some of the background areas but at just 6 hours I decided to not push those too much and just go for the brighter (or less faint 😀) areas.

• Like 1