Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter in three different wavelengths (18/11/22)

Kon

I received a methane filter from Astromania yesterday and I managed a quick imaging session tonight. Nothing spectacular in terms of seeing but it was nice to capture some images using the new filter. Jupiter in methane, IR and rgb. With incoming clouds I only managed a quick capture for each filter. From the colour image and  IR, it is apparent that seeing was  quite off. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate. For the methane, my capture was 60ms exposure, gain 430 and 15fps. Thanks to Geof and Lee ( @geoflewisand @Magnum) for the discussions we have been having in the background regarding CH4 imaging. I hope to try with good conditions and see if I can pull more details out.

image.png.d4c027fb174cd78007b13a54ba90617a.png image.png.2b64cd12f619587c1be17f535f6eb98d.pngimage.png.418584575d38cdee574c4359c6908cfa.pngimage.png.0ab10c7295edbf1ae60246189595bf58.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 7

57 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Nice results. I have never felt the urge to try methane. what did your filter cost ?

Thanks. I like the different perspective and info it provides. I bought them from Astromania (via Amazon for £30 but usual price around £90); it came with IR pass and UV filter as well, so it may come handy for Venus. Quite surprised that it worked for the price.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Thanks. I like the different perspective and info it provides. I bought them from Astromania (via Amazon for £30 but usual price around £90); it came with IR pass and UV filter as well, so it may come handy for Venus. Quite surprised that it worked for the price.

Good price would like to see that. Do you have a link. What do you mean by UV filter. Do you mean UV IR Cut ? UV Filters are expensive

Scrub that just found them it appears to be a venus UV filter. If you don't get a ghost image on venus with the UV i will be surprised. But could be wrong. Will be interesting to see. A bargain for £30 as the methane is working already. The IR650 filter should work fine. If that Venus UV Works without a ghost image. You have snagged bargain of the century

Astromania 1.25-Inch Specialized Planetary Imaging Filter Set 3-Pieces (Ultraviolet (UV) filter/Methane (CH4) filter/Infrared (IR) filter) - Each filter is specifically designed to enhance astrophotos: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Edited by neil phillips

15 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Good price would like to see that. Do you have a link. What do you mean by UV filter. Do you mean UV IR Cut ? UV Filters are expensive

Scrub that just found them it appears to be a venus UV filter. If you don't get a ghost image on venus with the UV i will be surprised. But could be wrong. Will be interesting to see. A bargain for £30 as the methane is working already

Astromania 1.25-Inch Specialized Planetary Imaging Filter Set 3-Pieces (Ultraviolet (UV) filter/Methane (CH4) filter/Infrared (IR) filter) - Each filter is specifically designed to enhance astrophotos: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

You beat me to it. Yes that's the ones.

The only info I found when I came across them was here. To save you from reading, go at the bottom of the page where they report ghosting effect.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/705318-discussion-of-inexpensive-planetary-imaging-filters/

But for the price it gets the appetite going.

For the CH4 it will be nice to try under good seeing but it seems to be pulling some details.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

You beat me to it. Yes that's the ones.

The only info I found when I came across them was here. To save you from reading, go at the bottom of the page where they report ghosting effect.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/705318-discussion-of-inexpensive-planetary-imaging-filters/

But for the price it gets the appetite going.

For the CH4 it will be nice to try under good seeing but it seems to be pulling some details.

The ghost doesn't look that serious you could control that with black levels you got a bargain I reckon. I got the Baader Bessel (Johnson U ) photometric filter after a conversation with Christophe Pellier current price £136 though no ghost so glad i got it. But your onto a winner with that trio for 30 quid

What are the best filters to image Venus? (planetary-astronomy-and-imaging.com)

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Would be interesting to see if anything is picked up using the UV filter looking at the QE graph. Thinking about the possibilities of parring the camera with a lens and flower images.

Interesting. Do you mean with a DSLR or just the planetary camera to image flowers?

5 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

The ghost doesn't look that serious you could control that with black levels you got a bargain I reckon. I got the Baader Bessel (Johnson U ) photometric filter after a conversation with Christophe Pellier current price £136 though no ghost so glad i got it. But your onto a winner with that trio for 30 quid

What are the best filters to image Venus? (planetary-astronomy-and-imaging.com)

Exactly my thoughts. For the money they seem 'decent'. The IR pass was fine as well, similar to my other one. Let's see how Venus will fair with it.

Thanks for the link, it's what got me to want to try. I wasn't sure if with my setup using these filters would deliver much thus going for cheaper ones.

19 minutes ago, Kon said:

Exactly my thoughts. For the money they seem 'decent'. The IR pass was fine as well, similar to my other one. Let's see how Venus will fair with it.

Thanks for the link, it's what got me to want to try. I wasn't sure if with my setup using these filters would deliver much thus going for cheaper ones.

Do you have a mono camera ? Venus march and april next year should be good. Some of my older images 

7647958824_039af14f50_o.png

Venus very poorly placed quite recently in daylight. April 2023 will be better look at the time on the header 

58102666_venus21stmarch2022.pngSGL.pngdone.png90now2.png.7edaf89d95821e303dee3708cfedebf0.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Do you have a mono camera ? Venus march and april next year should be good. Some of my older images 

7647958824_039af14f50_o.png

Venus very poorly placed quite recently in daylight. April 2023 will be better look at the time on the header 

58102666_venus21stmarch2022.pngSGL.pngdone.png90now2.png.7edaf89d95821e303dee3708cfedebf0.png

Fantastic set of images as always!

45 minutes ago, Kon said:

I can look into it and let you know, but not sure how to achieve focus. 

I was thinking out loud about something I might look to try, for fun as it doesn't matter if cloudy and I have a lens adapter and agree focus might be tricky 🙂

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 23:00, Kon said:

I received a methane filter from Astromania yesterday and I managed a quick imaging session tonight. Nothing spectacular in terms of seeing but it was nice to capture some images using the new filter. Jupiter in methane, IR and rgb. With incoming clouds I only managed a quick capture for each filter. From the colour image and  IR, it is apparent that seeing was  quite off. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate. For the methane, my capture was 60ms exposure, gain 430 and 15fps. Thanks to Geof and Lee ( @geoflewisand @Magnum) for the discussions we have been having in the background regarding CH4 imaging. I hope to try with good conditions and see if I can pull more details out.

image.png.d4c027fb174cd78007b13a54ba90617a.png image.png.2b64cd12f619587c1be17f535f6eb98d.pngimage.png.418584575d38cdee574c4359c6908cfa.pngimage.png.0ab10c7295edbf1ae60246189595bf58.png

A lovely set of images Kostas.

• Thanks 1