Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 14th Nov

neil phillips

Seeing was variable. but the height helps as does a properly cooled scope. Got a few to run through. Not sure of the best from the night yet

Orion 245mm Newtonian. SW EQ5 PRO mount. ZWO ADC QHY 462 C Celestron Ultima 2x barlow. Baader UV IR Cut

redo.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 17

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

Cheers Geof, off to see your post

I put up 2 versions. The fisrt ones I went for a very smooth look, even with the detail still there, but then reworked them my usual method, which is a btter sharper and leves a more textured look. Will be interested to hear what you think.

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

I put up 2 versions. The fisrt ones I went for a very smooth look, even with the detail still there, but then reworked them my usual method, which is a btter sharper and leves a more textured look. Will be interested to hear what you think.

Both looked good. Think i preferred the sharper rendition

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, neil phillips said:

yes, i think your right. wonder what causes the thinning ? is it a temperature thing ?

From what I can gather it is related to temperature…

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2010je003693

”We conclude that polar hood clouds are primarily controlled by the temperature structure and form at the water condensation level”

When I first looked at Mars why back in mid-June and even if obviously very small, the southern polar region was very obvious. It seemed to glow. I think I made a comment that it looked just like sunlight reflecting off the top of a distant Alpine mountain in the spring. It looked quite different to the white that I have recently seen around the North Pole of Mars. It didn’t last long and soon seemed to melt or at least disappear from view. Of course Mars was a very different beast then and it could have just been something to do with the conditions.

However, if/when the north polar hood disappears it will be interesting to see if it then reveals any real ice cap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStudz said:

From what I can gather it is related to temperature…

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2010je003693

”We conclude that polar hood clouds are primarily controlled by the temperature structure and form at the water condensation level”

When I first looked at Mars why back in mid-June and even if obviously very small, the southern polar region was very obvious. It seemed to glow. I think I made a comment that it looked just like sunlight reflecting off the top of a distant Alpine mountain in the spring. It looked quite different to the white that I have recently seen around the North Pole of Mars. It didn’t last long and soon seemed to melt or at least disappear from view. Of course Mars was a very different beast then and it could have just been something to do with the conditions.

However, if/when the north polar hood disappears it will be interesting to see if it then reveals any real ice cap. 

Thanks for that extra info. Very interesting Peter. 

• Like 1