Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

From 2 inch to 1.25

Carl Au

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Out of interest, what makes you hold onto both as they are very similar focal lengths?

Hi Stu, I bought the ExSc first in my steady road to upgrading, so have a fond attachment to this one.  But had the opportunity to buy the 31T5 when I saw it for half price on this forum, so went for it.  I always find different ep's give you different experiences of the night sky, so am happy to hang on to similar focal lengths and quite often do!

Edited by rwilkey
typo
  • Thanks 1

All true Stu. The slight increase in mag and smaller exit pupil of the 1.25" 24mm helps to darken the background sky and improve contrast.

On one occasion I managed to get to dark skies with a Vixen NLVW 30mm lanthanum & a ST120 that really showed how good those f5 achros are for widefield. Stunning views.

With the f7 frac not so useful though night to night in a city and at Astrocamp this year the 24mm 65° UFF more than satisfied the astro itch. The best widefield view of M31, M110 and M32 I've had. Almost like an unprocessed photo image!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

All true Stu. The slight increase in mag and smaller exit pupil help to darken the background sky and improve contrast.

Hi Scouser, I totally agree, you have summed it up in a nutshell.  Well done, I couldn't put it into words, so thank you!

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 21:18, JeremyS said:

No. I’ve fallen in love with 2-inch EP especially the Ethos

But I still use 1.25-inch EPs exclusively with my smaller refractors. Especially for travel as they are so compact (notably the Tak LE series)

When I first got back into Astronomy I got my first 1.25” eyepieces, two Tak LE’s in fact and I could not believe how huge they where compared to my 70’s eyepieces.

• Like 1