NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi FS102 on the Flea of the bay !!

Telescope40

Hello all.  After Dave @F15Rules flagged up a Tak Fs 128 a couple of weeks ago and it's now mine, here is another Tak I've come across.  The scope has no link to myself in any way but looks rather good along with the mount. 

Fill you boots.   John 

Takahashi Telescope FS102 APOCHROMATIC Fluorite Doublet. Fine condition | eBay

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello all.  After Dave @F15Rules flagged up a Tak Fs 128 a couple of weeks ago and it's now mine, here is another Tak I've come across.  The scope has no link to myself in any way but looks rather good along with the mount. 

Fill you boots.   John 

Takahashi Telescope FS102 APOCHROMATIC Fluorite Doublet. Fine condition | eBay

When you look at an ad for a superb scope like that, and then you see that it is just 10 miles away, you wonder whether the astronomy gods are trying to tell you something. I shall sit here and await further revelation from above ........

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hmmm, he says free of wear or damage and has hardly been used but the dewshield, finder and OTA all shows signs of paint chips 🤷🏻

The back story also sounds similar to a UKastrobuysell advert last year.

Caveat Emptor.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

Hmmm, he says free of wear or damage and has hardly been used but the dewshield, finder and OTA all shows signs of paint chips 🤷🏻

The back story also sounds similar to a UKastrobuysell advert last year.

Caveat Emptor.

To be fair, he doesn't say "free of wear or damage" in the text I read, but does say in the short description "Mechanically and optically fully functional.... optics free of damage or wear" ...

I think with a scope like this I'd want to inspect it in person to check it all out anyway..I know I did that when I bought my FS128.

The slight alarm bell for me was that he said "I collimated it and fitted the two motors.." - a scope like this shouldn't need collimation, especially if it's not been used much..(even though the objective cell allows collimation).

I believe the FS series ended production c 2004..the seller states that he bought the scope 13 years ago..if that's true, he would have bought it in c 2011, so he couldn't have been the original owner. So, it's likely to have been owned by at least one other person, maybe more, and to have been in someone else's care for at least c 7-8 years before this seller bought it.

None of this is necessarily a deal breaker, but I'd certainly be asking all these questions, in person, at a viewing of the scope and everything it comes with.

The Vixen GPD (same as GPDX) looks nice, and to be in good condition. It's an ideal platform for the FS102, and is rated for 10-11kg. The GPDX I owned was a real step up in heft from the GP, and a lovely, rock solid mount with superior "innards", bearings etc to the GP/SP range (also great mounts).

If the lens is all ok, the scope will deliver stunning views..if you're tempted, like Robertl (👿😂 ), just go and see it before buying it!👍

Dave 

• Like 3

On 04/11/2022 at 17:10, RobertI said:

When you look at an ad for a superb scope like that, and then you see that it is just 10 miles away, you wonder whether the astronomy gods are trying to tell you something. I shall sit here and await further revelation from above ........

Only 10 miles away, what are you waiting for, go have a look; you don't have to commit yourself.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

Only 10 miles away, what are you waiting for, go have a look; you don't have to commit yourself.

"I'm just going for a look.  It's a conincidence I've got near 2 grand in my pocket as well"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3