NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An equipment wedding is announced...

Since the imaging is now done with a robotic setup based here, I've decided on a marriage between our 14 inch Meade SCT tube assembly and our venerable Mesu 200 mount, to have a great visual observing setup. The LX200 Alt-Az mount is handy but wobbly and has now started acting the goat electronically. It's over 20 years old and I think that, even if I fixed it this time, it would most likely act up again. This is no good in my circumstances. Stuff has to work. The Mesu observatory is small for visual but the SCT is nice and short. We'll lose the convenience of alt-az but gain the convenience of a Moonlite Crayford which we can't use on the fork mount for fear of collision.

So, Mesu, do you take this 14 inch SCT to be your lawful wedded wife?

We'll find out when the Losmandy dovetail for the Meade arrives and I've de-forked it. (Nearly 300 euros for a dovetail? Better than over 1,100 euros for two tube rings. Not a misprint!)

Olly

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

(Nearly 300 euros for a dovetail? Better than over 1,100 euros for two tube rings. Not a misprint!)

^^ Geez dunno whether to laugh or cry. The last dovetail I made cost between 5-8 Euros, a 16mm thick aluminium bar milled to shape. You could purchase a rolls machine for a fraction of 1100 Euros and mass produce scope rings and sell them for a tidy profit @50 Euros a set 🙂 

• Like 1

Nice one Olly, is this the first time someone has used a Mesu for visual astronomy?

1 hour ago, SthBohemia said:

^^ Geez dunno whether to laugh or cry. The last dovetail I made cost between 5-8 Euros, a 16mm thick aluminium bar milled to shape. You could purchase a rolls machine for a fraction of 1100 Euros and mass produce scope rings and sell them for a tidy profit @50 Euros a set 🙂 

The guidescope on my RASA8 is mounted on a length of square profile steel tube which previously saw service as the retractable handle on a hand luggage suitcase. I try to spend my astro budget on stuff I definitely cannot make myself.

• Like 3

What you should have Olly is of course a Homeyer 14" cradle. I was lucky enough to get a Homeyer with my second-hand 14" LX200, but then of course she does not yet have the luxury of sitting on Mesu 200. Unfortunately Homeyer died in 2013 but maybe his cradle could be found on the used market. Apparently Homeyer's cradle takes off all problems with flex in such a big tube, but for visual that may not matter.

Cheers, Göran

20210402_203143_resized.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 2

Regarding dovetail bars, and the absurd prices they sell for... Many years ago I made one from well seasoned beech wood, maybe a bit heavier than a bit of extruded aluminium but it proved to be rock solid and performed its function as well as any of the overpriced lumps of aluminium!

• Like 2

On 28/10/2022 at 13:49, ollypenrice said:

Since the imaging is now done with a robotic setup based here, I've decided on a marriage between our 14 inch Meade SCT tube assembly and our venerable Mesu 200 mount, to have a great visual observing setup. The LX200 Alt-Az mount is handy but wobbly and has now started acting the goat electronically. It's over 20 years old and I think that, even if I fixed it this time, it would most likely act up again. This is no good in my circumstances. Stuff has to work. The Mesu observatory is small for visual but the SCT is nice and short. We'll lose the convenience of alt-az but gain the convenience of a Moonlite Crayford which we can't use on the fork mount for fear of collision.

So, Mesu, do you take this 14 inch SCT to be your lawful wedded wife?

We'll find out when the Losmandy dovetail for the Meade arrives and I've de-forked it. (Nearly 300 euros for a dovetail? Better than over 1,100 euros for two tube rings. Not a misprint!)

Olly

That sounds like a wonderful visual setup Olly. 👍