Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 9/10/22

Kon

Mars was a lot easier to image this morning , it didn't seem to suffer with the weird weather as Jupiter. I think it shows some of the clouds that @neil phillips reported yesterday too. 8" Dob manual, asi462mc, 2.5xTV powermate. 1.5x drizzle.

image.png.be2149c96881ae756dee6e9c32431b5f.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, Maurizio83 said:

Good image, Mars is still very difficult with the low diameter!

Yes it's getting easier to image it and being high on the sky helps under UK conditions.

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Yes it does. Very Nice kon. I think mars being higher offsets some of the seeing related problems. Certainly, helps with its small size. 

Thanks Neil. It is nice to have more images to compare the clouds development. If the conditions were better, Mars should have been even better, but very pleased with the result.

39 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

That's very nice Kon. Seeing all the decent Mars images now popping up, I need to crack on with my 1st image from this apparition soonest......🤔

Thanks Geof. In my limited experience it is getting easier to process the images afterwards as well. I am quite pleased with this result.

• Like 1

That’s a really good image @Kon. I was observing Mars on the same night/morning, between 4:30 & 5:30am and it confirms what a saw. Although the surface details were somewhat muted/fuzzy compared to your image (I’ve seen surface details better this yr) I could just make out a darker area to the south. But what was more obvious was a white area over the north polar region. And I’m also convinced that I could make out a much smaller and far less obvious small white area on the south polar region. Although it could just have been something a bit lighter than the surrounding surface.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

That’s a really good image @Kon. I was observing Mars on the same night/morning, between 4:30 & 5:30am and it confirms what a saw. Although the surface details were somewhat muted/fuzzy compared to your image (I’ve seen surface details better this yr) I could just make out a darker area to the south. But what was more obvious was a white area over the north polar region. And I’m also convinced that I could make out a much smaller and far less obvious small white area on the south polar region. Although it could just have been something a bit lighter than the surrounding surface.

Thanks Peter. Relatively, we are not too far from each other (other side of Swindon), so you may be experiencing the unstable weather as well. In my capture window the poles were easily seen (before any stacking etc) so it is very likely you observed both poles. I was too sleepy to do a visual, I should take a look next time I am out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

That’s really nice, sharp as a tack 👍🏼

Thanks.  With my limited experience, I am still getting my head around processing it, but as it is getting larger it's also getting easier.