Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clouds on Mars 8th oct

neil phillips

Missed Jupiter as i fell asleep. Thought I would try Mars later in the morning. looks like I picked up some hazy cloud on the pole

245mm Orion Optics Newtonian. QHY 462C. ZWO ADC.  Baader UV IR Cut. Celestron Ultima 2x barlow. Sw EQ5 PRO mount. 

04_50_36_mars 150.png 75.png E.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 25

Excellent image Neil!

Definitely cloud over the north polar region. Nice view of the Tharsis Montes and the Xanthe/ Valles Marineris regions, and I think possible the shadow of Olympus Mons.

Looks increasingly likely to me to be large dust storm over the Argyre region as I can’t remember it being that sandy/yellow coloured last opposition (see circled area below)

8E2A9188-7BC6-4CCA-8E88-52A272549C0C.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Excellent image Neil!

Definitely cloud over the north polar region. Nice view of the Tharsis Montes and the Xanthe/ Valles Marineris regions, and I think possible the shadow of Olympus Mons.

Looks increasingly likely to me to be large dust storm over the Argyre region as I can’t remember it being that sandy/yellow coloured last opposition (see circled area below)

8E2A9188-7BC6-4CCA-8E88-52A272549C0C.jpeg

Cheers Craig I was surprised at just over 12 arcsecs when I saw hazy cloud over the Pole. And yes, I know what you mean every time I apply saturation that region does stand out as brighter sandier red. Somethings happening there. I hope it doesn't go global Just as things are starting to get interesting.

Love that projection. I missed Mars last time around as I gave up.

Edited by neil phillips

49 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Cheers Craig I was surprised at just over 12 arcsecs when I saw hazy cloud over the Pole. And yes, I know what you mean every time I apply saturation that region does stand out as brighter sandier red. Somethings happening there. I hope it doesn't go global Just as things are starting to get interesting.

Love that projection. I missed Mars last time around as I gave up.

Just seen @geoflewis post in the other thread, definitely a dust storm then and a major one at that.  Let’s hope it doesn’t go global 🤞

• Like 1

Fantastic capture. It sure looks something is going on. Is that elongated reddish region towards the centre the same possible storm we discussed yesterday?

Unfortunately my weather was pants last night but we seem to be over the Jetstream today so it should hopefully be a good night.

10 minutes ago, Kon said:

Fantastic capture. It sure looks something is going on. Is that elongated reddish region towards the centre the same possible storm we discussed yesterday?

Unfortunately my weather was pants last night but we seem to be over the Jetstream today so it should hopefully be a good night.

Cheers Kon i had to work at it. tweaking focus in mm at a time. I got close or nailed it right near the end. 

As for your question. I will wait to see how anything develops before i stick my neck out on that

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Superb Mars Neil, I’m late catching up with posts today as traveling and only have the small screen of my iPhone with me. I’m definitely going to have to start imaging it soon.

Its perking up a bit. Still not easy. But we have height to our advantage. 

Cheers Geof

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

6 captures 6 mins. over 40 mins duration because of focusing adjust. Didn't intend to create a movie. Settings were changing as I was experimenting.

So uneven. The low-quality GIF has compression artifacts. It's not the captures. Early days for Mars movies

04_15_40_jupiter_lapl7_ap9_pipp.gif

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

@neil phillips @Pete PreslandDefinitely a dust storm, as mentioned in this article it’s “continent” sized! 

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/9275/nasas-insight-waits-out-dust-storm/

That nails it then. Always happens as mars gets bigger. If it does go global hope it clears by full size. Doesn't sound like it though Nasa saying its decaying

Cheers for the link

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

6 captures 6 mins. over 40 mins duration because of focusing adjust. Didn't intend to create a movie. Settings were changing as I was experimenting.

So uneven. The low-quality GIF has compression artifacts. It's not the captures Early days for Mars movies

04_15_40_jupiter_lapl7_ap9_pipp.gif

Stunning! It's the first time I have seen a Mars movie.