Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Gremlins

recceranger

Hi guys,

Not sure if it’s just my own experience, but having used the SW AZ EQ6 Pro along with the Power Oak 500W power tank, if I attempt to plug in another device, the mount auto guiding goes bananas! If I’m just running the mount it is perfect. I therefore run all my other bits off my Jackery 250W. Just a note on the Jackery, I attempted to run the mount off this power tank and once again the EQ6 started doing odd 360 rotations! I’m assuming the EQ6 models are power hungry beasts?

18 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I suspect the max amps of the powertank is less than the total requirements. The EQ6 needs a psu of 5 amps or more so if the powertank 12v outputs can't supply this something will fail, usually the mount

Yes, it works fine so long as I don’t attempt to plug anything else into the power tank. If I connect the ASIAIR or a few heater, then that’s it. Crazy Ivan time! I now need to bring two power tanks into the field. The Power Oak solely for the mount, and the Jackery for everything else 

Edited by recceranger
Grammar

Check the voltage though, in my experience the SW mounts, well at least the EQ6 variants, don't seem to like borderline 12v despite what the specs may suggest.

Multiple devices may be pulling the voltage down enough to cause the funny behaviour. I have experienced the same and since moving to the FLO supply and giving 13.8V I've had no further issues.

Edited by scotty38

15 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Theoretical 40 Amps @ 12V should be enough for several devices.

Are you using adequately sized cables for the length of run ?

Michael

The problem should not be due to the capacity of the powerbank. The 12v output sockets might have a maximum amps rating. If the total current drain is exceeded by the mount + other equipment then the current supplied to the mount might be insufficient for the mount to function correctly. The wild slewing when the powerbank is used for the mount + other equipment but not when used only with the mount is typical of insufficient amps. 

@recceranger the user manual should give the specifications for the 12v output sockets.

• Like 1