Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mains power Vs frost and dew

iamjulian

Sorry, this has probably been asked many times but cannot find anything specific in search.  My power cable runs from the external garage wall to the obsy.  Two gang sockets go inside a dry box then power out of there to the mount and computer.  

My extension cable died. I have another on a reel, but it won't fit inside the dry box. Will it work inside one of these big plastic storage boxes? The dry box is IP55 but everything is taken down and packed away indoors at the end of the night, so only(!) concerns are dew/frost.

I have RCD protection but don't want to mess about with mains power. What do you think, can I get away with a big plastic box, or do I need to buy another cable with sockets that I can fit inside the dry box?

• Like 1

Please don't rely solely on my advice when it comes to electrical safety... however, I should think it would be OK for temporary use. Just make sure all the cable is unwound so it doesn't heat up and trip.

A long time ago, my extension cable used to go outside in a plastic bag :D

Don't take my word for it either but a few years back when I had some flooding I had some submersible electric pumps running outside almost 24x7 for a couple of weeks and given it was for flooding it was quite damp. The pumps were fed from a reel like you're describing and I protected mine by covering it with a bucket. You'll be fine but like I say this is not IEEE advice 🙂

It won't be a problem at all. Roofing for 30 years and used extension leads in the rain when doing emergency repairs and that was before RCD plugs were a thing. A bit of dew won't be an issue. I always have an RCD plug on the end of my extensions now. 

You say you pack away every night so it's not like it's left out all year. 

I have permanent 240v to my pier and it's only covered with a BBQ cover 24/7/365

IMG_20220930_164807.thumb.jpg.81e07243306706bdfc638cd0b000af7b.jpg

This one of those examples where there is the proper way to do it, such as :

Armoured cable from an RCD in the consumer unit (fuse box) to a IP rated enclosure by the mount.

Or a fairly safe and practical way such as the OP proposes.

Anthony, IMO your non-IP rated socket protected by a BBQ cover is really pushing your luck.

Michael

• Like 2

2 hours ago, michael8554 said:

This one of those examples where there is the proper way to do it, such as :

Armoured cable from an RCD in the consumer unit (fuse box) to a IP rated enclosure by the mount.

Or a fairly safe and practical way such as the OP proposes.

Anthony, IMO your non-IP rated socket protected by a BBQ cover is really pushing your luck.

Michael

It's really fine under there. RCD protected and if there was any risk of rain getting in I wouldn't be leaving £5k of equipment under it all year round. Ip rated outdoor sockets are good when exposed. Got 6 of them scattered around the garden. 

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

I wasn't suggesting your equipment was in any danger.

Your BBQ cover could move in strong winds and rain could get into that socket.

Or dew, BBQ covers are good generators.

Michael

Can't really see it the pic but the BBQ cover extends down way below the socket. 

Dew has never been an issue in the nearly 5 years it's been there. My full kit, mount, cameras, scopes stay out all year, even in the storms. When I first built it I considered putting a little fan or low wattage heater under it but so far it's never been needed. 

I do towel down the kit in the mornings before covering so it's not dew covered when the cover goes back

I think the problem is that you are posting a photo and giving advice showing your illegal and dangerous installation. You might accept it, but others shouldn't. Your insurance, including 3rd party liability will be invalid too.

I've known people that have had shocks off dew laden mains kit.

30 minutes ago, AstroKeith said:

I think the problem is that you are posting a photo and giving advice showing your illegal and dangerous installation. You might accept it, but others shouldn't. Your insurance, including 3rd party liability will be invalid too.

I've known people that have had shocks off dew laden mains kit.

It's neither illegal or dangerous. 

4 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

It's neither illegal or dangerous. 

That doesnt look like a IP56 or IP66 rated socket (it isn't BTW)

Is it on an independent 30mA RCD, if so was it notified under Part P?

Do you have a Completion Certificate from a qualified electrician?

15 minutes ago, AstroKeith said:

That doesnt look like a IP56 or IP66 rated socket (it isn't BTW)

Is it on an independent 30mA RCD, if so was it notified under Part P?

Do you have a Completion Certificate from a qualified electrician?

It's going into the workshop underground with swa and terminates into an RCD plug then into a socket so the pier is just an appliance. 

The workshop is also fully RCD protected. 

I don't  really want to get involved in a tennis style argument and giving advice on electrics,  especially outside installations. is maybe something we all should stay clear of unless a qualified and up to date with current regs electrical engineer.
Having said that I think we all should have a pretty good idea of what should be done, and what  a paid qualified electrician would install, and that is often what many of us do not adhere to, and because generally we do not use our setups in very damp conditions, and certainly not in rain, we still consider it safe and will generally all have no issues even on prolonged use like that.

Having said that, I guess we should still not recommend using non compliment installations.
Most of us at some time will use extension reels, hopefully fully extended  even if using a 25M reel that is only 10M away from socket, and also hopefully all protected with RCD, and although I am not up to date anymore with current regs I would guess that is not illegal ???
But however we get electrics to our mount or obsy should be done correctly, or we take the risk ourselves and had to be our own choice, and the best advice is always if in doubt don;t do it and ask a qualified electrician.

So maybe Gents this back and forth arguing is not helping the OP ?

Steve

• Like 3

On 27/09/2022 at 20:25, iamjulian said:

I have RCD protection but don't want to mess about with mains power. What do you think, can I get away with a big plastic box, or do I need to buy another cable with sockets that I can fit inside the dry box?

If you are concerned that your existing rcd protection is insufficient, how about getting one of those 30mA RCD power breaker devices that plugs into an existing socket then plug your extension lead into that. You can get a 10mA device if you want that extra level of protection. At the far end, just as you say, stick the extension lead into a plastic box with a lid, it's a temporary setup that's stripped down at end of play, personally I would be happy with that.