Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

JWST latest - the Tarantula and a lot more

alpal

• alpal changed the title to JWST latest - the Tarantula and a lot more

The combined data image of the Tarantula region is indeed very impressive but the pixel peeper in me finds it a little strange to see the mix of star diffraction patterns around the bright stars, some have six spikes, some four and some none, no doubt due to the three separate data sources. Is there any smart software out there that could even these out?

Thanks, in case you didn't know, you can roll your own since its free data !

How to below, I gave it a quick try last night but was a bit time limited, big files

https://www.galactic-hunter.com/post/jwst-data

I made a list of potential NGC targets from the downloadable spreadsheet - there are lot more thingies if you want to try other things

NGC-2024
NGC-346
NGC-7469
NGC-2403
NGC-300
NGC-253
NGC-1448
NGC-2992
NGC-3081
NGC-3227
NGC-4388
NGC-5135
NGC-5728
NGC-7172
NGC-1087
NGC-1300
NGC-1365
NGC-1385
NGC-1433
NGC-1512
NGC-1566
NGC-1672
NGC-2835
NGC-3351
NGC-3627
NGC-4254
NGC-4303
NGC-4321
NGC-4535
NGC-5068
NGC-7496
NGC-628
NGC-891
NGC-104
NGC-602
NGC 3324
NGC 3132
NGC 7320
NGC 7469
NGC 6552
NGC 346
NGC 5139
NGC 5728
NGC 5135
NGC 7172
NGC 1365
NGC 7496
NGC 628
NGC 2070
NGC 6822
NGC 104
NGC 6720

5 minutes ago, tomato said:

The combined data image of the Tarantula region is indeed very impressive but the pixel peeper in me finds it a little strange to see the mix of star diffraction patterns around the bright stars, some have six spikes, some four and some none, no doubt due to the three separate data sources. Is there any smart software out there that could even these out?

Only by making fake diffraction spikes.

I like the way the image is combined from many sources By  Robert Gendler.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap220916.html

Thanks for the post, I followed the instructions and after a bit of trouble I managed to log into a ftp server to get my files. So here is my version of the NGC3324 data. Easy to process (no noise at all) except for terrible star artifacts as is often the case with data form large professional scopes, so I think I prefer the starless version. Five filters that can be combined in many ways, all outside our visual specturm, so a lot of freedom and possibilities.

JWST NGC3324 RGB PS8(starless+stars) copy.jpg

JWST NGC3324 RGB PS4h(minor fix) copy.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 3

We are indeed fortunate to live at a time when such a wonderful resource is made freely available.

I had an enjoyable time recently processing some M51 data from the HST, making an image I could only dream of with my earth bound kit.

• Like 1

Just now, tomato said:

We are indeed fortunate to live at a time when such a wonderful resource is made freely available.

I had an enjoyable time recently processing some M51 data from the HST, making an image I could only dream of with my earth bound kit.

Yes, a great opportunity when the clouds settled in, like here right now, but it is really never as satisfying as processing your own hard earned data

• Like 2

Had ago, and since there isn't a JWST palette yet I decided to try for detail - NGC 3324 JWST 

The screen resolution on the web looses a lot of detail - pity most will never see the full potential - you have to click and expand to see better!

FinalView2.thumb.png.0d35f4acd7ca02bd774b154297d44203.png

Edited by billhinge
  • Like 3

While I am waiting for clear skies and data from my own scopes, I decided to have another go at data from James Webb Space Telescope (https://mast.stsci.edu/portal/Mashup/Clients/Mast/Portal.html). Exciting data of course but It was not totally straightforward. Many filters to chose from and a lot of star artifacts to handle. In any case, here is my version of the Tarantula Nebula in IR (from about 900 to 4500 nm). I found a useful overview of the JWST filters here (https://jwst-docs.stsci.edu/jwst-near-infrared-camera/nircam-instrumentation/nircam-filters). I used what to me would be the most straightforward palette, i.e. to include the filter(s) with the shortest wavelengths in the blue channel, the mid ones in the green, and the longest wavelengths in the red channel, essentially shifting the spectrum towards visible light.

Cheers, Göran

JWST Tarantula NewRGB PS21smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 2