Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars Opposes Sun while Full Moon Occults Mars - 2022 DEC 07-08

CentaurZ

Mars will reach opposition from the Sun during the night of December 07-08. At the same time, it will be occulted (covered) by the Full Moon for observers in portions of North America and Europe.

Photos and descriptions of Mars during its current apparition would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Below are 2 charts with data for observers in both Chicagoland and London.

Chicagoland data:

OC221208.JPG.956f28f046120ef2feca1bb5c772a7b6.JPG

London data:

OC221208-L.JPG.29864d3a604dd8ac51e4e57d0b21c1d6.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2022 at 14:43, Stu said:

Thank you, I wasn’t aware of this event. It’s at 5am for me so if skies are clear I will have an early one!

You're welcome, Stu. The opposition and occultation will occur tomorrow night for much of North America and Europe. Unfortonately, no occultation for me and my neighbors here in Florida.  Hopefully those of you in the occultation zone will provide photos, preferably in my similar threads for Observing - Planetary or Lunar.

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1

Just got the FS60 with me tonight as I’m away at my parents. Only chucked it in at the last minute so I’m lucky to have anything.

I was looking at Mars with the CQ module fitted on the 3mm setting of the Nag Zoom ie x200 and the disk was pretty sharp and some retail visible. Then I removed the CQ module and popped the 24mm Pan in giving a 4.6 degree field and can now fit both in the same field as they are 3.4 degrees apart. Not the best view as the Moon looks like an egg with a bit of lateral CA in the Panoptic! 🤪

• Like 1

Nice naked eye visual conjunction of Mars and the Moon this morning prior to the occultation. I forgot it was today. Noticed it after I parked my car in one of the LHR staff car parks.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Hello, it was incredibly impressive, what a sight, was able to see the moon disappearing and re-emerged an hour later.
The contrast of the two colors, and the speed of the motion was so obvious.
A sight out of this world, it gave such a sense of space.
Hopefully someone will post an image.

• Like 3

Too early for me to catch this and couldn’t risk waking the toddler! Glad lots of people got to enjoy it though and there are plenty of fantastic images knocking about. 

Hopefully it’s clear New Year’s night for another lunar occultation of Uranus, at a more civilised time of 10-11pm too! 😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thick cloud when the alarm went off and then the skies cleared about 10 mins before Mars was due to disappear. Loved it! Took a bunch of photos. Quick edit below while I wait for Mats to reappear :)

1891548842_MoonandMars.thumb.jpg.503903eec54c608b3cea1956f26f0401.jpg

That's excellent Neil, I had similar cloud troubles a bit further west than you, but they did clear away for me in the last few minutes before the occultation started, then back again just as Mars disappeared behind the Moon.

• Thanks 1