SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Watcher 6 inch APO?

Perhaps I have been had over on a very early April the 1st, but I bumped into an old astro buddy and whilst catching up, he told me that Skywatcher were shortly going to announce a six inch APO.

Anyone heard this or do I put my clown suit back on:icon_clown:

Theres a cheap (relative term) 6" triplet on the way shorly from AstroTech in the USA, I can't remember who carries their gear in the UK though.

I think its only a matter of time before Skywatcher come out with a 6" model but to keep decent colour correction at an acceptable focal ratio it will have to be a triplet and also probably FPL-53. ie. not THAT cheap.....

SCS Astro carries the AstroTech scopes http://www.scsastro.co.uk/cg240001.htm

OpticStar carries ED Triplet scopes under their own Accension brand name. Their 127 ED Tiiplet is £1299.00 but they do offer a £200.00 upgrade with better optics and an inferometer report.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Ascension.asp?s=6a0acea3-4496-45a4-933a-78523c6abed&p=0_10_1_6_50

John

We have also heard rumours but have not received any official news from Skywatcher's importers. I hope it is true.

<edit> If it is true it will almost certainly be a Synta in-house optic rather than one already in use. They will no doubt be keen to make the most of their association with Schott, the German glass manufacturer.

Also out of curiosity what sort of mount would you require for this beast.

Would a EQ6 suffice?

I would imagine so, I have seen one of the Skywatcher 6" f8 doublet refractors on an EQ5 and it looked a bit under-mounted so I guess once you add in the extra lens element, a HEQ5 would be the bare minimum.

My understanding is that lens designs aren't 'scaleable' as in they couldn't just make a bigger version of say a 127mm model and expect it to have the same level of correction, so if Skywatcher and/or Astrotech manage to bring out a 6" APO that undercuts the WO model and is fairly fast (around f8 or faster) with at least the 'visual' definition of APO-ness (ie: colour free in focus) then it certainly would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Tony..

Archived