SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Iris Nebula and Surrounding Dust

mackiedlm

A clear, moonless night last Wednesday meant that I could go after some reflection/dark nebula, something I really want to concentrate on this year.

I decided to use the little 61EDPHii and found a nice framing of the iris Nebula which would incluse several dust clouds. I also positioned it to bring in the little barred spiral galaxy NGC6951 (also called NGC6952?) near top left. It came out better than expected

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it altough the Gosts in Vdb 141 are not as clear as i hoped - they need mor FL i think.

So this is about 5 hours at 180s and 30mins at 90s to allow HDR on the core of the iris. Sharpstar 61EDPHii, ASI2600mc

Iris_Wide_PS.thumb.png.d559b54760b4ba949857d5414b6bc64f.png

• Like 22

Very nice - a great deal of faint dustiness in there. My only crituque (and it's possibly just a personal thing), but the stars look a little hard-edged to me.

Out of curiosity, what's your light pollution like? I've always wanted to have a crack at dark nebula, but not sure if it's worth it outside of a rural location.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

Very nice - a great deal of faint dustiness in there. My only crituque (and it's possibly just a personal thing), but the stars look a little hard-edged to me.

Out of curiosity, what's your light pollution like? I've always wanted to have a crack at dark nebula, but not sure if it's worth it outside of a rural location.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and provide a critique - I do appreciate all comments as I'm still very much a learner.

I guess I see what you mean about the stars, they are a bit "stark"  in some places. I'm not sure why that would be or what to do about it.

As to my LP, I'm in whats classed as a bortle 4 on the map but I have a tall sodium street light just yards from my scope. I have a blind/shade I put up and sometimes use an L-pro filter - in fact I used it on this image and I wonder if that could be part of the "hard edge stars" thing..

Awesome image with a stunning 3d effect and perfect framing !

2 hours ago, mackiedlm said:

yes the little galaxy is quite cute sitting out there all on his own

This is indeed a nice target with longer focal lengths,  I had visited  it two weeks ago

I didn't realize that its surroundings where that dusty...

Edited by Dan_Paris
  • Thanks 1