Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

August 31, 2022: Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) bagged

I have just bagged the rather faint comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) with my C8 and Nagler 22 mm EP. It shows up as a faint little blob (mag 12.8 or so) in Hercules. I tried a few days ago, but conditions weren't good enough. Tonight the sky was more transparent, although it still was a difficult catch from my back garden (Bortle 4-5). Still, comet number 34 bagged. Will now wait until Jupiter rises above the trees

• Like 5

I've just spent a good while trying to spot it... with no joy.  I've mapped out all the background stars in that location and can account for everything I can see and so I'm pretty sure I know exactly where it is.... but I just can't pick it out.  Was fun trying though... just need a bit darker skies I think.

9 hours ago, globular said:

I've just spent a good while trying to spot it... with no joy.  I've mapped out all the background stars in that location and can account for everything I can see and so I'm pretty sure I know exactly where it is.... but I just can't pick it out.  Was fun trying though... just need a bit darker skies I think.

It is a very hard one, but also surprisingly compact. It really looks a bit more like a little galaxy than most other comets I have seen, which tended to have a larger coma. I imported the orbital elements into Stellarium, and that allowed me to map out the views in both the finder scope and the various eyepieces I tried. Before going on a few visits to some old friends (M13, M92, M57, and M27) I checked the position of the comet, and I could again spot the little ball of fuzz in averted vision at the right position. Best of luck with your hunt.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...