Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First timer

tbones147

Hi, Thanks for accepting me. At the ripe old age of 51 I've decided to get my first telescope. Researched no end, after reading so much online I've gone from wanting any old cheap thing just to get started, then reading how this can put you off.

So I've now gone to wanting something like a Celestron Powerseeker 70az - Then read some more and then wanted a Celestron Astromaster 70az - Then read some more and have now decided I would like a Skywatcher Heritage 130p.

I either need to stop reading or just take the plunge, otherwise I'll never pull the trigger. The Heritage seems to get really good reviews all over the place, and I am now desperate to get started.

I'm from Essex in the Uk.

Clear skies everyone.

You are still young 🙂 and welcome to SGL.

Answers to these usual questions will help us guide you : -

- budget,

- are you interested in planets or deep sky objects,

- visual or wish to take photographs,

- how far would you need to carry your scope to see a decent dark patch of sky,

- any restrictions on how much weight you can carry etc.

If you are interested in visual only then suggestion is go for a dobsonion with the largest aperture you can afford. The other option is go for a Maksutov.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

You are still young 🙂 and welcome to SGL.

Answers to these usual questions will help us guide you : -

- budget,

- are you interested in planets or deep sky objects,

- visual or wish to take photographs,

- how far would you need to carry your scope to see a decent dark patch of sky,

- any restrictions on how much weight you can carry etc.

If you are interested in visual only then suggestion is go for a dobsonion with the largest aperture you can afford. The other option is go for a Maksutov.

Hi,

1- Think I'll stretch the budget to £200 max and am looking at the Sky Watcher Heritage 130p as I don't fancy one on a tripod.

2- I'd probably go for Planets to start off with.

3- Visual I would say.

4- I wouldn't have to carry it far, just open the back doors and out in the garden, pretty dark where I am.

5- No limitations with weight carrying.

I had every intention of going down the £50 route and getting a righ old cheapo, but the further I read on, the more I realised a big mistake it would be. I don't want anything fancy, but something easy to use and decent ish, and that's why I think I'll go for Sky Watcher Heritage 130p. Done so much reading and now I think I'm reading to pull the buying trigger.

10 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Hi @tbones147 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

This is a good read... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html if you have not already done so.

Yes, thanks, been there, and that is where I got my final confirmation of what I'll go for, and will definitely buy from First Light Optics.

Edited by tbones147
  • Thanks 1

If you can stretch your budget to £250 or £300 GBP... I personally would choose either one of these... 

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Philip R said:

If you can stretch your budget to £300.00GBP... I personally would choose this one... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html 

I'd love the biggest baddest one going, but I need to be sensible, never ever done it before, and not exactly flush with money. I've come along way from a £50 cheapo I was considering :)

Edited by tbones147
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tbones147 said:

2- I'd probably go for Planets to start off with.

Take a look at this before you take the plunge https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/. The views shown below are of Jupiter using the stock lenses supplied with the Heritage 130. Its a lot better than what this view shows as you should be able to view the bands. You will need to purchase a barlow to see more close-up views and set aside some funds to buy a better 25mm lens (perhaps a BST)

image.thumb.png.5ff8333ae5c9eeb8925e8fbf88b4b4ed.png

Also take a look at https://www.stelvision.com/astro/en/telescope-simulator/

Edited by AstroMuni

14 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Take a look at this before you take the plunge https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/. The views shown below are of Jupiter using the stock lenses supplied with the Heritage 130. Its a lot better than what this view shows as you should be able to view the bands. You will need to purchase a barlow to see more close-up views and set aside some funds to buy a better 25mm lens (perhaps a BST)

image.thumb.png.5ff8333ae5c9eeb8925e8fbf88b4b4ed.png

Also take a look at https://www.stelvision.com/astro/en/telescope-simulator/

Ha, got this tools site bookmarked already, I've been a nightmare, reasearching, researching, researching.

Edited by tbones147
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tbones147 said:

Has, got this tools site bookmarked already, I've been a nightmare, reasearching, researching, researching.

Hopefully the link to telescope simulator at the bottom of my previous post is new 🙂

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

Quick update:

At 2pm today I am going to pick up a 2nd hand Skywatcher Heritage 130p FlexTube for £100 - It's in pristine condition. Cannot wait to get it.

Plan of attack is make a shroud for the open part, then if I enyoy it, then get a decent Barlow lens/Upgrade current lenses. Then in the future no doubt I'll upgrade to a 6 or 8 inch Dobsonian.

Edited by tbones147
  • Like 3

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL.

I think you've made a good choice with the 130p. I have its slightly bigger brother - 150p. This was my first scope and I still use it for grab & go, holidays, etc. It's an excellent all-round, portable scope, though in your shoes, I'd use some of the money you've saved buying second hand to upgrade the eyepieces which come with the scope, particularly the 10mm. Have a look on FLO at the BST Starguider range. Also check you have something ultra-stable to stand the scope on, as the last thing you need is wobbles and vibrations while observing. For future reference, have a look at the modification you can make to the (slightly quirky) focuser too.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

Got my new baby. Came with a few bits, Super 25mm, Super 10mm, 2 x Barlow, Moon filter, 2 x erecting lens, and  a 20mm thin one that is less than an inch wide, god knows what that is. Dunno what the erecting lens is for either ( just googled and found out what it does), you can look through it, looks like a mini telescope.

scope.jpg

scope 2.jpg

Edited by tbones147
  • Like 1

Nice one! As @cajen2 says above, might be worth getting yourself a better eyepiece or two. If you're new to the hobby, I'd strongly recommend a copy of Turn Left at Orion, which will help you learn the night sky, plus give you some nice targets to look for/at. It looks from your picture that you've also got a collimating cap there (the thingy in the plastic bag). It's probably got a shiny underside. If so, that's to help you collimate (align) the optics, which you'll need to do occasionally.

• Like 2

Hello @tbones147 and welcome to SGL, you have made a great choice for your first scope.

Things you may need to do….

1. When you take it out give it chance to cool down or the views will be poor.

2. Don’t observe on a hot table, hot concrete or near or over heat sources, grass is best.

3. Learn how to collimate the scope.

4. Use the supplied eyepieces for now ( perhaps the 20mm is 0.96” fitting not the modern 1.25”) but be aware they are very basic so maybe consider BST Starguiders at some point.

5. Download “Stellarium” - very good, free (but you can donate) sky simulation software.

6. Enjoy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orange Smartie said:

Nice one! As @cajen2 says above, might be worth getting yourself a better eyepiece or two. If you're new to the hobby, I'd strongly recommend a copy of Turn Left at Orion, which will help you learn the night sky, plus give you some nice targets to look for/at. It looks from your picture that you've also got a collimating cap there (the thingy in the plastic bag). It's probably got a shiny underside. If so, that's to help you collimate (align) the optics, which you'll need to do occasionally.

I'm afraid the thing in the little plastic bag is a moon filter.

9 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Hello @tbones147 and welcome to SGL, you have made a great choice for your first scope.

Things you may need to do….

1. When you take it out give it chance to cool down or the views will be poor.

2. Don’t observe on a hot table, hot concrete or near or over heat sources, grass is best.

3. Learn how to collimate the scope.

4. Use the supplied eyepieces for now ( perhaps the 20mm is 0.96” fitting not the modern 1.25”) but be aware they are very basic so maybe consider BST Starguiders at some point.

5. Download “Stellarium” - very good, free (but you can donate) sky simulation software.

6. Enjoy

Thanks, I've got loads of apps downloaded, finding the SkEye app very good. Getting accustomed to where stuff is in the sky. I have a south facing garden, with full views East/South East, and full views West. North wil be ok out the front garden, but South West very restricted by a big tree.

Cannot wait to play about with it.

Edited by tbones147

12 hours ago, tbones147 said:

Got my new baby. Came with a few bits, Super 25mm, Super 10mm, 2 x Barlow, Moon filter, 2 x erecting lens, and  a 20mm thin one that is less than an inch wide, god knows what that is. Dunno what the erecting lens is for either ( just googled and found out what it does), you can look through it, looks like a mini telescope.

scope.jpg

scope 2.jpg

The "...thin one..." will be 0.965" and you till need a 1.25" adaptor to use it. [image below]. If you want to sell it, then I will offer you the price of a couple litres of unleaded petrol for it and a first class stamp to cover P&P! :evil62:

PIC036.JPG.256ee1ad02e01b954596c702e30a1d20.JPG<--- my 0.965" Ortho and 1.25" adaptor.

Forget about the using the 2x image erector 'thingy'. Looking at your image, it looks like 0.965" as well.
What it does is it inverts the image for terrestrial viewing and are/were common with some brands of refractor 'scopes.

Also... if that is an eyepiece solar filter in the plastic bag... bin it, bury it, lose it... DO NOT USE IT for viewing the Sun!

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1