Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is your favourite eyepiece for white light solar

Carl Au

As the above.

I only have a single scope, a 102 ED-R. I do lots of lunar and white light solar as well as the usual, double star, planetary and open cluster work I usually do.

My most used and probably all time favourite for this kind of work is the Explore Scientific 11mm from the 82 degree series…..

What is your favourite?

• Like 1

I too am a one scope user Vixen ED103, I have two favourite eyepieces, Vixen 22 LVW and Pentax 10 XW,
the 10 until now has been the White Light hero and will remain so, but i have just acquired a Vixen LV zoom for trying in WL solar.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I don't do much solar observing but when I do I find a zoom eyepiece very useful. The Baader 8-24mm zoom would probably be my eyepiece choice unless I want high magnifications in which case I would press the Svbony 3-8mm zoom into use.

42 minutes ago, John said:

I don't do much solar observing but when I do I find a zoom eyepiece very useful. The Baader 8-24mm zoom would probably be my eyepiece choice unless I want high magnifications in which case I would press the Svbony 3-8mm zoom into use.

I don’t do a lot myself to be honest, but with the 11 year solar maximum about to reach its peak it would be rude not to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voxish said:

I don’t do a lot myself to be honest, but with the 11 year solar maximum about to reach its peak it would be rude not to. 

When I do white light solar it has generally been at outreach sessions. At least there is something to show punters now - a few years back the (usually) featureless solar disk was a little underwhelming. 

• Like 1

Just now, John said:

When I do white light solar it has generally been at outreach sessions. At least there is something to show punters now - a few years back the (usually) featureless solar disk was a little underwhelming. 

I was just about to post the same thing, absolutely dire. Makes you wonder how Lunt and co don’t go bust in the intervening years!

• Like 1