Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Global Warming

malc-c

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I don’t see anything wrong with your post Malc, so no problem.

This is an interesting thread so please do keep it non political so it can continue. Thanks.

I echo Nigel’s comment that population growth is the biggest problem and is unsustainable. The trouble is, many business models depend upon ever growing populations to continue the demand for continued profit growth, there are vested interests all over the place.

One positive aspect is that there are clear signs of population growth declining or even reversing in a number of countries, even the ones with huge populations so perhaps we will reach a peak sooner than might be expected. Still likely to be 10 or 11 billion though which I find terrifying! 😱

Thanks Stu,   The problem is that there are very few topics that can be discussed without politics or countries policies coming into the equation..

I agree, the ever increasing worlds population is impacting lots of things form the  fuel they use through to impacts on local eco systems and habitats.  One thing my late mother used to say was  "charity begins at home"  and she would often go on about all the aid we used to send to Africa, yet most of the families the news reports mentioned had 8, 9 or more kids, mainly because the custom was that the larger the family you had the higher up and "respected" you were in the village.  The fact that they lacked the resources  to feed them....  and before this thread get locked, there is a connection....  The loss of crops were cited as being the reason for the famine, which was again down to climate change.

The rise in the worlds population is not entirely down to families having more children.  People are living longer.  It's not uncommon for people in the western world to live well into their 90's..

Anyway, I think this topic has well and truly gone off topic judging by some posts..... so if the mods wish to lock it its fine by me.... it's run its course

Basically, you can't really reply to a thread like this without mentioning geopolitics. Which will get the thread locked. So there's no way to realistically participate. The same thing happens on many computer security forums. Someone tries to discuss a cyber security problem, which inevitably leads to mentioning various forms of legislation. Which inevitably leads to politics. Which inevitably leads to the thread being locked. It's always the same.

“That's some catch, that Catch-22,'" Joseph Heller, Catch-22.

Edited by Zeta Reticulan

• Stu locked this topic