SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar white light from 17.07.2022 processed with Registax 6

Pete Presland

I nearly always use IMPPG for all my solar image sharpening. But since i have been using the C9.25 for white light imaging, i have thought the images have been either noisy or lacking in a little sharpness.

This image was sharpened using Registax 6 only, moved to CS2 for just cropping, tweaking the levels and colourising.  I feel this method has given me a better balance of detail and noise in the finished image.

The usual set up C9.25, Asi174mm, X3 Barlow.  stacked 20% of around 20,000 frames.

820205997_2022_07_1707.11AR3057.thumb.png.0e3f76ea2928842b96d13993eb0fea7d.png

900941557_2022_07_1707.11AR3057colour.thumb.png.e1287196a135e74c4f16fb69b21aaa04.png 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

I nearly always use IMPPG for all my solar image sharpening. But since i have been using the C9.25 for white light imaging, i have thought the images have been either noisy or lacking in a little sharpness.

I've noticed L-R deconvolution doesn't work that well on WL - but applying just some unsharp masking is quite alright (link, link). (I might investigate R6-style wavelets for future inclusion in ImPPG).

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GreatAttractor said:

I've noticed L-R deconvolution doesn't work that well on WL - but applying just some unsharp masking is quite alright (link, link). (I might investigate R6-style wavelets for future inclusion in ImPPG).

Thanks for responding @GreatAttractor they are very good images you have posted links to. what setting are you using on those?

It might be the way i am applying it, i do tend to be quite aggressive 🙂 then using a Gaussian blur to reduce the noise a little. Registax wavelets seems to allow me to be quite aggressive as well, but when i reduce the noise in wavelets the image just looks like it retains more detail. 

I will sharpen the same image and try to show what i feel i am getting. Obviously i no expert, my opinion is just that an opinion. Which is why have posted this thread for discussion on the subject 🙂 

2 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Nice work Pete , have you ever tried astrosurface for processing? I came across it the other day seems to get good reviews and updated unlike registax worthy of a look .

Not heard of it, but i will give it  a look

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Thanks for responding @GreatAttractor they are very good images you have posted links to. what setting are you using on those?

Unsharp mask sigma around 1.3, amount 6-8; but as usual, you should fine-tune the parameters to your images. Select a small area (e.g., just the granulation), temporarily stretch the contrast, and play with the sliders until the features starts looking unnatural/"overcooked".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1