Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick note for all those using a wooden tripod (Berlebach etc.)

Steve Ward

Just a quick note/warning for Berlebach users .

My Berlebach Planet is currently 'stored' fully rigged with the HEQ5Pro and Tal 100rs etc. in the summerhouse , ready to plonk in position for my Solar work , and obviously it's out in the full Sun for an hour or so at every opportunity.

This morning I was seeing a small but steady 'drift' in a strange direction that I'd not seen before , tripod positioned in the same place as normal and pretty well aligned for my needs.

A quick check revealed that the legs have dried out a little in the warmth and one was imperceptibly creeping down and causing the drift .

A quick retightening of the legs cured it no problem , just an eight of a turn or so , but it could have been a pain if I hadn't spotted it ( I always get a little drift as I haven't actually polar-aligned it) 

So if you have one make sure you give the legs a tweak before loading it up too much this time of year ... 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I too have experienced this.  My Uni lives out on a balcony all year round, and it's currenetly in slip/slide mode.  The varnish on the legs is pretty much gone, and I've been wondering whether a revarnish would help, but actually more worried that the whole would just glue together if  I did that.

I'd be interested in views or advice. on this.

On 15/06/2022 at 11:46, Steve Ward said:

Just a quick note/warning for Berlebach users .

My Berlebach Planet is currently 'stored' fully rigged with the HEQ5Pro and Tal 100rs etc. in the summerhouse , ready to plonk in position for my Solar work , and obviously it's out in the full Sun for an hour or so at every opportunity.

This morning I was seeing a small but steady 'drift' in a strange direction that I'd not seen before , tripod positioned in the same place as normal and pretty well aligned for my needs.

A quick check revealed that the legs have dried out a little in the warmth and one was imperceptibly creeping down and causing the drift .

A quick retightening of the legs cured it no problem , just an eight of a turn or so , but it could have been a pain if I hadn't spotted it ( I always get a little drift as I haven't actually polar-aligned it) 

So if you have one make sure you give the legs a tweak before loading it up too much this time of year ... 👍

has your Planet got double clamps on the legs?

The best finish for a Berlebach tripod is Osmo Polyx Hardwax Oil 3032 Satin Clear. Easy to apply and when hardened tougher than polyurathane. 

Used it on a Report tripod when I’d added some markings to the legs and wanted to protect the markings. Perfect match to the original finish .

They also do a UV-Protection-Oil but found the regular seems to hold up fine.

2AB7FEC6-3D4A-4766-9B22-E50E5C61338D.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Just singles.

I suspected so. My Planet was delivered with only single clamps and I had a couple of gentle slippages similar to what you described. I installed a second set and no further problems. Fairly easy job to install them - if I can do it anyone can 🙂. But I would recommend it, if only for peace of mind.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I suspected so. My Planet was delivered with only single clamps and I had a couple of gentle slippages similar to what you described. I installed a second set and no further problems. Fairly easy job to install them - if I can do it anyone can 🙂. But I would recommend it, if only for peace of mind.

It's fine now the clamps have been tweaked up , just the joys of seasonal movement of timber , something as a lifelong woodworker I've accepted ... :icon_joker:

I wouldn't normally store it in such a hot enviroment but it's very covenient at present and so quick to get on target that it'll stay put ... :smile:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 11:46, Steve Ward said:

A quick retightening of the legs cured it no problem , just an eight of a turn or so , but it could have been a pain if I hadn't spotted it

My Berlebach Planet (which arrived a couple of days ago) came with a note in the box about this, printed in big red text.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, great_bear said:

My Berlebach Planet (which arrived a couple of days ago) came with a note in the box about this, printed in big red text.

My Berlebach Planet came from the Astronomy and Nature Centre when it closed down , cost me a single £50 note and didn't have a box ... :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Ward said:

cost me a single £50 note and didn't have a box ... :D

Quite the bargain! My new one cost over ten times that amount!
(and the box went in the recycling immediately after opening - it isn't glamourous thing that you'd want to keep - just regular brown cardboard)

Edited by great_bear
  • Like 1