NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Noctilucent cloud season 2022

According to the Spaceweather.com satellite images, the Noctilucent cloud is starting to come to life. Seems a few weeks later than year, but last did seem to be early to me.

I think i saw my 1st ones on the 6thnMay last year, but all the previous years its been June.  Hopefully some good displays again this year, looking forward to some more sleepless nights 🙂 

e current_daisy.png 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have an AllSkyCamera running for the first time this summer, but so far it has just detected Plain Ordinary cloud. If I can’t do DSO Astrophotography I would like to try and capture some examples of this phenomenon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomato said:

I have an AllSkyCamera running for the first time this summer, but so far it has just detected Plain Ordinary cloud. If I can’t do DSO Astrophotography I would like to try and capture some examples of this phenomenon.

It can be very tiring and frustrating. But the sight of the sky full of ethereal clouds is amazing, I will never forget the first time I saw them!!!! 🙂

• Like 1

I was reading somewhere that the water vapour and dust particles that are required to be present in the Mesosphere for NLCs are increasing due to man-made pollution. They are much more common than they used to be, apparently.

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

I was reading somewhere that the water vapour and dust particles that are required to be present in the Mesosphere for NLCs are increasing due to man-made pollution. They are much more common than they used to be, apparently.

I would certainly agree with that. I don't recall seeing them at all, let's say, 30 years ago. 

I am mad ready to get this season under way. The past 10 years have been great but I've noticed that the seasons are getting later over the last 5 years. I remember one year catching NLC near the end of April. 

• Like 1

NLC were imaged on the Isle of Skye last night, through a crack in the clouds. 

image.png.5ca1c0ee45be9b34e8baa6770c0ad093.png

And of course after I post this I go to Spaceweather.com and see they have and article up with this very photo lol

Edited by Simon128D
  • Like 2