Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 NV smartphone photo

vineyard

I tested out NV on my f/10 STF7 last week or so ago.  Put an Antares 0.5x reducer on the end of a TV55mm and put it into a 2" mirror diagonal.  No other spacers etc & no filters.  So by my calcs that's effectively an f/2.4 system.  Just held my phone as still as possible over the EP while it took a 3s shot.  Obv that saturates the image so I've just played w GIMP to try & mimic a bit more what the EP view was like.

Next time will drop the 0.5x and see what it's like b/c at f/4.7 it should still be fast enough to get a nice view of M13.

I've never seen M13 through a normal scope of this aperture (LP here is pointless to even try that but maybe I should) so I have no idea how this compares to what a normal 7" view would be.

Cheers

IMG_5078_gimp.jpg

Edited by vineyard
  • Like 6

Impressive shot Vin. Night vision is excellent for globular clusters, even from light polluted skies, and in my experience you can get great results even at relatively slow speeds. In fact I prefer to use my smaller, slower fracs for globulars than my F/3.3 Newtonian. In darker skies, they’re even better. The views of M13 through a TV85+NV are far, far better than anything I ever achieved with a C8 without NV.
So definitely worth you trying without the reducer. Which phone were you using out of interest?

• Like 1

Thanks @Mike JW (hope all well - still loving the STF7 :) )...so the NV is doubling the aperture even at 7", crikey.

@HighburymarkI was just using an iPhone 12 and the standard photo app on it which in low light doesn't let me take faster than 3s (unless - and this is v possible - I'm being an idiot in using the phone!).  That is really good to hear about the comparison of the TV85 v C8 - if its clear tonight I'm going to try sans the 0.5x reducer and see what it shows.

As you say @AstroMuni thankfully our eyes don't take 3s shots - it was v nice to be able to see some of the finer structure of M13 just in an EP as opposed to stacked AP.

Cheers

• Thanks 1