NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"wanted" ad of the week...

John

I spotted this wanted ad in my local Trade-IT which I found mildly amusing:

"TELESCOPE wanted, with at least X660+ magnification & within walking distance of Cirencester, willing to pay £15."

Does anyone know of a 13 inch scope (assuming 50x per inch of aperture of course) for sale for £15 quid within walking distance of Cirencester ? - also it's got to be portable as I assume that this person intends to carry it home !!.

There's nothing like an optimist I suppose.

John,

North Somerset.

This also reminded me of those folks who advertise 50mm plastic refractors on e.bay as "Professional Telescopes" - try as I might I can't find any reference to research programmes that have been conducted with this sort of equipment - at least not since Galileo's time !!. Imagine the scene when Sky at Night, live from La Palma, televises the opening of a giant new dome to reveal....... a 2 inch "Comet Stalker" wobbling innocently in the sunlight - now that would really be a challenge for Chris Lintott's commentary skills !!.

John,

North Somerset.

:) :) :lol:

I would guess its a young kid that has read the spec of one of those old tesco 60mm fractors, with a 4mm EP and a 3x barlow in a 700mm I would guess about 600ish

at 660x would you be able to see the creators on jupitor? :) :insects1:

RD

Archived