NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Should I use an IR cut filter when using ZWO ASI 178MM as a guide camera?

34 minutes ago, Ade Turner said:

Hi

I’ve just replaced my ASI 120 mini guide camera with an ASI 178. If I screw in a simple IR cut filter will it degrade or enhance my guiding? 

Thanks 👍

I use a Baader UV/IR filter on my ASI120MM-mini with SW EvoGuide and in my experience it has improved the performance compared with no filter fitted.

I also use an Astronomik L2 UV/IR filter with my ASI290MM-mini with WO 50mm guide scope on the RedCat 51 - again I think it helps.

With either of the above on my SW AZEQ-6 I get ~0.5"-0.8" guiding - with good 'seeing' it's been as low as 0.3".

:)

+1 for using the UV-IR filter on guidecam

Have one on my ZWO290mm mini and it gave much tighter stars when observed in the PHD2 monitor window than it showed before the filter was added.

Depends on where the guide cam is i would say.

If its in a typical fast achromat guidescope, then yes you will benefit from the UV/IR filter. If its in an OAG in a scope that produces no chromatic aberration and has no weird IR reflection issues with optical surfaces, then no there is no need for one.

4 hours ago, Adreneline said:

I use a Baader UV/IR filter on my ASI120MM-mini with SW EvoGuide and in my experience it has improved the performance compared with no filter fitted.

I also use an Astronomik L2 UV/IR filter with my ASI290MM-mini with WO 50mm guide scope on the RedCat 51 - again I think it helps.

With either of the above on my SW AZEQ-6 I get ~0.5"-0.8" guiding - with good 'seeing' it's been as low as 0.3".

:)

Thanks very much. My instinct was that it probably would help but it’s good to get confirmation 😉

My unfiltered mini  always seemed a bit rough tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

+1 for using the UV-IR filter on guidecam

Have one on my ZWO290mm mini and it gave much tighter stars when observed in the PHD2 monitor window than it showed before the filter was added.

Thank you. I suspected it might, cheers 👍

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Reading the spec on the 178MC it had an IR-cut window already

Ah, I didn’t pick that up, though mine is the 178MM mono. I’ll see if it does too. Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Depends on where the guide cam is i would say.

If its in a typical fast achromat guidescope, then yes you will benefit from the UV/IR filter. If its in an OAG in a scope that produces no chromatic aberration and has no weird IR reflection issues with optical surfaces, then no there is no need for one.

Atm I’m using it in my WO ZenithStar 61 on my 8” Edge HD, however I will be getting an oag in a couple of months. Good to know, thanks 🙂

A UV/IR Cut filter will definitely improve guiding... but heres an idea I've had and tested with consistently improved guiding results... I'm now using my IRPass685 filter on my ZWO120MM mini guide cam instead of the IR cut filter and my guiding seems to have consistently improved by around 0.2" RMS.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, happy-kat said:

The spec on FLO lists only an AR window on the MM 

I noticed that too, but the camera’s manual which covers all variants states “There is an AR-AR and IR-CUT protect window in ASI178 series camera to prevent the sensor from humidity and dust.” From that I’m assuming the MM version does too.

btw apologies if you received two replies from me  - my earlier reply didn’t seem to get published.

• Like 1