Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evoguide 50ED questions

Hi all,

I'm wanting to upgrade my optics (from a Canon 75-300mm lens🤣), and have seen a few people have been using the Evoguide 50ED as an imaging scope. I'm not looking to upgrade immediately as since the clocks went back it gets dark too late for me now👶. There are a few other options I'm considering, but had a few questions about this first.  This would be for use with a Canon600D on a star adventurer. 

1) What is the effective focal length when using the field flattener?

2) Does this work well with a DSLR? I believe some of the examples I have seen are using a DSLR. 

3) How secure are the mounting rings supplied with the scope once a DSLR is attached to the back? Would it be worth looking at a more secure mounting system? Maybe something where the DSLR can be supported also? 

I'd also be interested in any other general comments regarding the scope. 

Thanks for reading

Simon

• Like 2

Hi Simon,

I'm one of the people who have been using and posting about their experiences with the Evoguide 50ed, I'm happy to try and answer any questions but please bare in mind I am rather new to all this astrophotography stuff so others might be more knowledgeable.

1. I don't believe the focal length is effected, it is just a field flattener and not a reducer, so it stays at 242mm focal length.

2. It does yes when using the EvoFF v2, I have been using a Canon 600d. I am not sure what the whole imaging circle is when using the EvoFF as I'm not sure Starizona actually say, it seems fine for APC-C but it might be too small for a full frame DSLR, I don't know on that one, someone else may have an answer. It is also compatible with most astrophotograph cameras as well because it has 55m back focus so you could even use some attachments such as a filter wheel with one, but there wouldn't be room for those sorts of things with a DSLR I don't believe.

3. The rings supplied with the scope are...poor. I have been speaking with a kind gentleman called Greg on eBay who was one of the sellers on there selling 3d printed clamps/rings for the Evoguide 50ed. I had a chat with him and he put together a modified version with attachment points on the top which I use with a finder and guidescope and it really is a fine setup. I'll attach a photo and review of these in time, as I said I would to Greg. If you're interested in taking a look they can be found by searching for the user 'craftology3d' on eBay. I also got a Bahtinov mask 3d printed as well (green to match the scope).

As for general comments, the scope has performed well. I think any bad points are largely down to my lack of ability to be fair, and even then I've managed to get some images I'm really proud of considering I've only had a half dozen or so imaging sessions in my astrophotography time so far. I'm sure others could point out slight issues with the optics, but from my untrained eye I don't think anything could give me the results I'm getting at such a good price point. I have mine mounted to a Skyguider Pro at the moment. Only downsides I can think of is nowhere perhaps to easily mount a filter, I've been using an EOS clip in filter with mine at the moment and that works fine, that and the rings it comes with which are frankly rubbish, but the dovetail is okay - in fact I mounted the 3d printed clamp/rings mentioned above to the supplied dovetail as I quite like the green.

Edited by tompato
  • Like 2

The EVOFFv2 is I think for APS-C sized sensors. I've used mine with a ZWO camera and placed the filter in the ZWO adapter, with the 1100d I used a filter holder that fitted in the camera and used a 1.25 filter. The rings with the 50ED work for me so haven't changed them. I made a Y mask out of card for focusing.

• Like 3

I use the Astrokraken mounting system & am quite happy with that.  I think the Evoff flattener also has threads in front so that you can attach a 1.25" filter on the front & then mount it on to the Evo50.  Its a lovely little wide-field scope (& much cheaper than a Redcat!).

• Like 2

I'm in France and a quick look at the Pierro Astro website suggests about 350 euros for this scope and Starizona flattener.  An ultra-quick search on the net found a used Canon 200mm L seires prime lens for a good bit less than that. I only guide with my Evoguide and have never considered imaging with it but I have to say that I'd think hard about a 200L series Canon or other good, older prime lens. I've done deep sky imaging with a 200L and it was pretty good...

Olly

• Like 1

Evoguide 50ed is £189 and the EvoFF v2 is £96 which brings a total to £285 so yeah that's probably not too far off in Euros. That said, you can't really compare used price of something with new prices, as I'm sure you could get a used Evoguide 50ed for nearer £100. Still, hard to compare to a camera lens because this can be used for guiding in the future if you upgrade to a bigger astrophotography telescope and connection to other astrophotography equipment might be easier, so it's a bit more multipurpose.

You could go down the route of a used 200mm Canon lens - I'm not sure what you'll end up having to stop down that Canon 200mm to though? Might not end up to dissimilar to the f4.8 of this guidescope but I don't know - plus you'll have to deal with refraction spikes (depends if you like them).

To be honest though if I was going down the route of a used camera lens I think I would spend a little bit more on a used Samyang 135mm as that can be used well only stepped down to f2.8 or something and is very highly praised.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, very useful.

My next question was going to be about the different field flatteners, but it sounds like the Starzonia one would be the way to go. 

Also great to know there are several mounting options, which since happy-kat is using the original rings could always be implemented down the line if required. 

I like the diffraction spikes from a newt, but I'm not a fan of them from camera lenses. However, a used Samyang 135 is also on the possible list (maybe with a step down ring on the front to remove the spikes) but for a canon fit those appear to be as rare as hens teeth 2nd hand. But I guess that's a good sign as no one wants to get rid of them...

Don't suppose anyone has experience of the Samyang and the 50ed??

Yeah I don't believe the other flattener can work with a DSLR so the Starizona EvoFF v2 is the only option.

On a somewhat unrelated note, with the eBay promotion that's on at the moment you can get £50 off an Evolux 62ed which brings it down to £309. The Skywatcher field flattener for it is expensive, but maybe there's cheaper ones that are compatible.

Edited by tompato
  • Like 2

Although I am happy using the stock rings the weight of the DSLR draws the OTA to a natural slip stop point on the top green ring, this does not cause me a problem as I altaz image so no meridian flip. It might be I just haven't tightened enough the threaded rubber tipped fixing bolts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swillis said:

Thanks for all the replies, very useful.

My next question was going to be about the different field flatteners, but it sounds like the Starzonia one would be the way to go. 

Also great to know there are several mounting options, which since happy-kat is using the original rings could always be implemented down the line if required. 

I like the diffraction spikes from a newt, but I'm not a fan of them from camera lenses. However, a used Samyang 135 is also on the possible list (maybe with a step down ring on the front to remove the spikes) but for a canon fit those appear to be as rare as hens teeth 2nd hand. But I guess that's a good sign as no one wants to get rid of them...

Don't suppose anyone has experience of the Samyang and the 50ed??

The Samyang is excellent but for Canon or Nikon difficult to source. Don't get the Sony, I did and it was excellent with my Sony mirrorless bodies but not compatible with astrophotography cameras.

• Like 1

Thanks again all

@tompato that is an expensive flattener... But thanks for the heads up on the offer. 

@happy-kat I think that pushes me towards a 3d printed mounting option as suggested above, or the WO 50mm guide rings I have seen suggested in another thread (it may have been your thread). 

@LaurenceT I forgot I had seen you post about the Samyang previously.  I have almost been excited a couple of times when a Sony one comes up for sale...

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tompato said:

Evoguide 50ed is £189 and the EvoFF v2 is £96 which brings a total to £285 so yeah that's probably not too far off in Euros. That said, you can't really compare used price of something with new prices, as I'm sure you could get a used Evoguide 50ed for nearer £100. Still, hard to compare to a camera lens because this can be used for guiding in the future if you upgrade to a bigger astrophotography telescope and connection to other astrophotography equipment might be easier, so it's a bit more multipurpose.

You could go down the route of a used 200mm Canon lens - I'm not sure what you'll end up having to stop down that Canon 200mm to though? Might not end up to dissimilar to the f4.8 of this guidescope but I don't know - plus you'll have to deal with refraction spikes (depends if you like them).

To be honest though if I was going down the route of a used camera lens I think I would spend a little bit more on a used Samyang 135mm as that can be used well only stepped down to f2.8 or something and is very highly praised.

There's no reason whatever not to guide with a camera lens. Plenty of imagers do it. It's just less common now that cheap, small guidescopes have entered the market.

Lenses will need stopping down but the use of a home made aperture mask avoids the multi-blade diffraction artifacts. You can also use stacked filter rings but cardboard is cheaper!

Mask.JPG.fa985a4da5594da138f3006efd0d1411.JPG

I agree that the Samyang is a killer lens but it has a very different focal length, and is a very different price, from the OP's starting point. It would be my choice too, though, for a small mount.

Olly

Thanks @ollypenrice, the post was to get a bit more info about the 50ed since it is a guide scope rather than an imaging scope.  I have not quite made up my mind on which way to go, but ultimately (given time and budget) there could be a space for both the 50ed and the Samyang.

2 minutes ago, Swillis said:

Thanks @ollypenrice, the post was to get a bit more info about the 50ed since it is a guide scope rather than an imaging scope.  I have not quite made up my mind on which way to go, but ultimately (given time and budget) there could be a space for both the 50ed and the Samyang.

But you did want to use it for imaging if I read your post correctly?

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

But you did want to use it for imaging if I read your post correctly

Yes @ollypenrice your correct. Sorry prob poor choice of words. I meant since it is sold/marketed as a guide scope rather than an imaging scope. 

So wanted to know more about it and what would be required to use it for imaging.

• Like 1

JTOL for similar price point alternatives. There's a Zeiss 200mm on eBay ATM which would be simply mount to camera and go. It's flat, even over full frame.

Yes, there's an all metal infinity focus contax to eos adapter for a few € extra.

HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

Thanks @alacant, it's difficult to know what lenses are good for AP. That one you linked doesn't ship to the UK, but there are ones which do.

I assume most adapters would mean that infinity focus cannot be reached?

I will have to look for some examples on astrobin, but not looking to make a purchase straight away and I still like the sound of the 50ed

thanks

Simon

Edited by Swillis
Affinity to infinity

38 minutes ago, Swillis said:

affinity

Infinity?

38 minutes ago, Swillis said:

most adapters

It depends on the camera. E.g. most Nikon dslrs will not reach infinity with metal only adapters when using older lenses.

Edited by alacant

I've been struggling for some time to get my setup with the 50ed in a workable situation with my small AZ GTI mount and I think I've done it. Would be interesting to see how others manage their setups with the 50ed for imaging. In the end I managed to cobble together all the bits I bought from Greg on Ebay plus a few additions of my own. I thought at one stage I might have to resort to superglue but a longer M6 bolt hiding in my bottomless pit of bits and pieces did the trick. The whole lot weighs in at 2.6Kg, I haven't yet sorted out cabling or balancing, I'm almost certain to need an extra counterweight, I've already bought a longer bar thanks to the advice from @AstroNebulee.

20220414_121512.thumb.jpg.33755ed01298c88c2452a9f5bf2a8195.jpg

• Like 2