SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI Air Plus not aligning correctly on target

In this case last night I set the target as M65, it landed on it but as you can see from the attaching picture which is rough processed to help show detail it is stuck in the top right along with the rest of the triplet

Should I manually align the last bit or is there something wrong with my set up.

It has only just started doing this btw

steve

Autosave.thumb.jpg.e7d3e16d478258d4cd3b03de3b9e4af6.jpg

I had this problem the other night when I used my new ASIair plus for the first time. The problem went away when I set the mount settings to GoTo Auto Centre. Might be worth you checking that setting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Is that after plate solving?

Ah i didnt do that, simply polar aligned then went straighht to imaging, could be theissue. 

Not sure about mount goto settings to centre. I shall check both if conditions allow tonight. 

Thanks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Ah i didnt do that, simply polar aligned then went straighht to imaging, could be theissue. 

Not sure about mount goto settings to centre. I shall check both if conditions allow tonight. 

Thanks

Yep need to do both, the Polar align means the mount is phyiscally aligned where it should be, the plate solve means you now know your scope has moved to where you told it to.

• Like 1

Yep as scotty said do your plate solve when you've goto'd a target 

I use my asiair pro and my routine is, PA, then send mount to home position, then goto focus on bright star I plate plate solve this too, then goto imaging target then plate solve it, take a quick exposure to check its centred, then calibration in guiding then guide and set autorun going. 

Funnily enough I havent set my mount setting to auto centre (see screenshot) has no issues maybe it's the pro version thing I don't know 🤔

Rightly or wrong it's my workflow. 

IMG_20220324_195350.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

50 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I rarely ask ASIair to plate solve. I input the target and the ASA automatically centres it usually after two or three iterations. 

Pedantic point but in NINA that's a Slew and Centre which involves a plate solve so you don't actually ask NINA (or rather ASTAP for example) to plate solve either lol.... 🙂

• Like 1

If after you PA and you press the telescope tab and select goto home position and it's off, your goto will also be off. Home position is telescope on top in line with mount pointing at Polaris with counterweight pointing toward (at an angle) the ground. Manually declutch the Ra and move to home position or thereabouts until the command goto home position doesn't cause the mount to move any more in Ra. Yours could be another issue but implementing this procedure sorted my bad gotos instantly.

Still don't know why it doesn't save the home position though, even when I return to it at the end of a session and power off.

8 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yep as scotty said do your plate solve when you've goto'd a target 

I use my asiair pro and my routine is, PA, then send mount to home position, then goto focus on bright star I plate plate solve this too, then goto imaging target then plate solve it, take a quick exposure to check its centred, then calibration in guiding then guide and set autorun going. 

Funnily enough I havent set my mount setting to auto centre (see screenshot) has no issues maybe it's the pro version thing I don't know 🤔

Rightly or wrong it's my workflow. 

IMG_20220324_195350.jpg

goto auto centre helps too, I must have unticked that

• Like 1

Ok so did a plate solve after polar alignment and also I ticked the goto auto centre on mount settings.

Which ever of these it was that was causing a problem doing both fixed it.

I did a quick image of the Iris nebula last night and although it lacks detail and is still a little grainy, I am quite chuffed with the results from this one.

image.thumb.jpeg.71cc826c7695ce551ebc5136622387bf.jpeg

• Like 1