NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm so desperate to know what the milky looks like from the naked eye in a bortle 2 area

Username556

Well I hope that you have some clear and moonless nights during your stay. We stayed in mid Wales a few years ago and I spotted the milky way as we were lucky enough to have a few clear nights during our stay. Get outside and make sure that your eye's are nicely dark adapted. If you are in Bortle 2 the sky will be very dark then just look around. The stars will jump out at you and then you will realise that one area of sky appears lighter than an adjacent area and the more you look, the more you will be able to define lighter and darker regions. That's what you will see or at least, that's what I saw. Can I also suggest that you take binoculars with you. If they are in the right place, you will be able to see M31 and M42 through binoculars with ease. Enjoy.

• Like 2

I hope the milky way is about, the moon most certainly is not and that you have transparent skies. First enjoy the view and try to work out what you’re looking at (too many stars!) Then maybe take some binoculars and have a look around places that you know…… collect as many memories as you can.

Peter

Having been to Fuerteventura a few times, under some of the most pristine skies on the planet, the milky way will look like a cloud. Yes, actually like a cloud, like a bright frosty mass spanning the sky horizon to horizon. You'll almost struggle to identify familiar constellations due to the sheer number of stars visible to the naked eye. Andromeda is jumping right out at you, M81 & M82 visible to the naked eye. Going again in June and will have the Skymax 127 with me 💪

It's as per @Sunshines image, maybe less bright. I've seen it from a bortle 4 and at first you won't believe what you're seeing. It looks like a wisp of a cloud spreading from horizon to horizon but you know it isn't a cloud. Things like pleiades will stick out like the bright star cluster it is with unaided view, it will surely be an experience if you've never seen it. The only better experience I've had was in rural Asia, total sea of stars, more than you can imagine.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Elp said:

It's as per @Sunshines image, maybe less bright. I've seen it from a bortle 4 and at first you won't believe what you're seeing. It looks like a wisp of a cloud spreading from horizon to horizon but you know it isn't a cloud. Things like pleiades will stick out like the bright star cluster it is with unaided view, it will surely be an experience if you've never seen it. The only better experience I've had was in rural Asia, total sea of stars, more than you can imagine.

I live in a bortle 4 area. 

8 minutes ago, Username556 said:

I live in a bortle 4 area. 

You should be able to see it, if you go somewhere away from local lights. If you've got a camera at hand a 30second photo might reveal it. At this time of year you'd have to try it before 11pm/12am as it'll set sometime around then until 2/3am from the other side.

Edited by Elp

33 minutes ago, Elp said:

You should be able to see it, if you go somewhere away from local lights. If you've got a camera at hand a 30second photo might reveal it. At this time of year you'd have to try it before 11pm/12am as it'll set sometime around then until 2/3am from the other side.

I know, it hasn't been clear once this month.