Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Looooong Slooooow Newtonian Reflectors

Let's see your long focal length "planet killer" Newts. 

Here is my 8" F8 that I built around a $40 Edmund mirror I bought at the Texas Star Party swap meet back in the mid 90s. 

It puts up some fine planetary and lunar images.

8inF8-Dob-JL-xsm.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I built this 12.5" F8 back in 1977 from whatever junk I had.  It was painted a green color which was the only color I had on hand.  It provided fantastic views.  

A buddy of mine called it the Hulk since it was "Big, Mean and Green"    It was dismantled due to it's massive weight but I still have the mirror and I plan to build a new "planet cannon" with it.

12.5inf8.25newt.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great to hear about your projects 👍

If you do a search for planetary scopes by Gary Seronik he too made a planet-killer. I recall it was a long focus 6” Newt with a tiny secondary. Gary was with Sky & Telescope magazine for many years.  

Thread drift warning 😊…….I have an Edmunds Astroscan that Gary worked on by shimming the front optical window. It was owned by Ade Ashford who also worked at S&T. When Ade moved back to the UK he brought that Astroscan, I subsequently bought it. The Astroscan is at the opposite end of the spectrum of scopes….horses for courses…..

Ed.

• Like 2

Nice scopes.

A few Orion Optics scopes from me:

My current Orion Optics 8” f8 which is an excellent lunar and planetary scope with 1/10th wave optics.

A 6” f11, again 1/10th wave which I had a couple of. This one somewhat optimistically mounted on a Vixen GP!

Finally, a rather crazy 12” f6, 1/12th wave before I got it on a dob mount. Should have kept this one really, very nice scope.

That said, the 8” is such a practical, lightweight and easy scope to put out it gets plenty of use. It’s a bit spindly and prone to vibration so the EQ Platform really helps with stability for high power viewing.

F7B815F5-00FB-4B30-BA01-D80BED26F2BA.thumb.jpeg.f13463ba31d41ccf371368e21a008753.jpeg

FD4B10A5-2CEF-4F31-B30F-31AFC526C9C3.thumb.jpeg.dadcdba9e68dbfad48af635d9c888f63.jpeg

98AAF36E-43CB-470F-8645-70E8EFDCB622.jpeg.11b1e4297bf6a92c86eb095f7cb50e94.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...