SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open University Integrated Master of Physics (M06)

NovaeSci

I just wanted to bring to people's attention that the OU is now offering an Integrated Masters in Physics (M06).

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/physics/degrees/integrated-master-of-physics-m06

I think it looks epic! You can start Level 1 with a lot more flexibility:

The Basic Maths Start - MU123, MST124, MST125 and SM123;

The Standard Start - S111, MST124 and SM123;

Or the pathway that looks the best, and tackles a lot of students' requests who felt S111 was a waste of time, the Advanced Start - MST124, SM123, S283 and S284. This is what I'm going for, as it allows you to study the Level 2 Astronomy and Planetary Science modules, at Level 1, instead of S111.

You can also study all the Physics modules, as well as the Astro modules at Level 3; essentially, not leaving you with the dilemma on whether to study the Astrophysics module or the Cosmology module, due to only having 30 credits free choice. This is because the Level 3 30 credit Project, is replaced with a 60 credit Level 4 project.

Let me know what you all think. The link will explain what the course codes are for, in relation to the module :)

Edited by NovaeSci
  • Like 1

Liverpool John Moores University is offering a MSc in Astronomy for those with a first degree in a mathematical based subject. 

There's a cost of just under £50 per unit, and has a core of curriculum comprising 120 units and 3x optional modules 30 at units each. 

Hard work over 2 years, but it has a good reputation as far as I can tell. 

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduates/astrophysics-msc

There are more general courses open for anyone with an interest, but not necessarily a background in science 

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/cpd/astrophysics-distance-learning-cpd-courses 

Edited by Gfamily

7 hours ago, Kev M said:

The worry with the OU is the costs in England.....£24,000 to complete this course.

Scotland is pretty much free or vastly reduced for the same course.

The cost of an education for young people from underprivileged backgrounds is heartbreaking. Even as a well paid professional I baulked at the costs of pursuing a higher degree with the OU some years back. Its still heartbreaking the thought that I didnt keep going but what do you do.

When I took my eldest to an open day at Southampton where he is studying now we meet a young lady who was starting her PHD in astrophysics on gravity waves by way of conversation she told me she had not had any financial help from her family as they were not in a financial position to help and had got that far on the student loan and her wits only. She was such an inspiration. 

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 1

One of the features of the previous Student Loan Scheme is that it was relatively progressive, in that those who were well paid would pay back more of the value of their loans, whereas those who are on low or average earnings over their working lives don't pay back the majority of the cost of the loans they received.

However, the most recent changes to the earnings at which the loan begins to be repaid in tax, and the extended number of years before which the loan is written off means that far more will end up paying back a greater part of their loans. 

Every year there are industry sponsored PhDs in applied science, mathematics and engineering, that give students the opportunity towards a doctorate, but it has to be said, that the strictly academic career is looking less attractive for many for a number of reasons.  

Edited by Gfamily

• 3 months later...

Looks interesting. My personal view is that anyone interested in space-time and the physics of fundamental particles, and cosmology, would do well to take courses in solid state physics. In that discipline you learn about phase transitions and how complex behaviours emerge from simple building blocks, and many of these concepts are now being used in fundamental physics of the universe.

• Like 1

When I did my MSc/PhD in astrophysics it was much cheaper with SERC grants and the like, and easier to get a position in academia, providing one was willing to travel. Now however, unless one has a very definite goal and job in mind, it’s so much harder, and the academic positions are now few and far between. It’s very sad as we seem to be losing those young people who have an interest in the sciences, but would rather start their careers with money in the pocket.  
Of course, we will always get the dedicated few who pursue a career in astronomy, but due to financial restraint they will have to struggle at the beginning of their studies, and I know of many who give up and get a job. 
it seems to me that (any) government policy is to spend vast amounts of money on, say, a high-speed rail network, and at the same time reduce science research funding. 
oh well ☹️

How glad I am to see this. When I finish my college studies, I will certainly go to you for additional training in physics and mathematics because these are two sciences that I adore, especially tasks that seem incredibly difficult at first. Still, in the process of solving, you realize how stupid you can be and how easy this problem can be solved. Well, I am glad that you shared this information on asa florida, and if anything, I will write to you in private messages, and we will discuss some issues that interest me very much. Thank you, and have a good day!

Edited by nudsenma

• 2 weeks later...

As an alternative view I guess it depends on what you want to do, do you want a qualification and letters or understand a subject mathematically in more depth and your starting point. I'm assuming a reasonable amount of physics and maths knowledge is assumed if you are mentioning M.Sc's

I was lucky enough to get a degree in astrophysics when they were free so I learnt physics & math techniques (mostly forgotten), but the thing I disliked was the focus on the 'how to derive an equation and put numbers in and turn the handle' rather than why, how does that work in relation to observed physics? e.g What does a path integral mean  anyway and why use that rather than another integral.

In those days there was no internet and the only source of info was the library or lectures, now we have great info online and arguably better presenters of information. 

Recently I went down the route pondering should I go for another degree but then I remembered, some subjects were boring (or at least the tutor was) and I focused on those subjects I liked

In the end I went the DIY route to teach myself (which is straightforward enough if you do maths revision etc, even after 40 years its funny what you can remember. In someways it's easier to understand than when you are 20 with loads of stuff going on). At the moment I think I have a reasonable mathematical  understanding of Riemannian geometry,  Christoffel Symbols and Schwarzchild metrics  and how to apply them, better than my 3rd year understanding of GR anyway. The fact that there are no deadlines, exams, time pressures  makes life easier I find.

(Also doing Quantum Field Theory, not the old particle in a box stuff- my uni professor never did answer my question as to why you don't use Schrodinger hydrogen perturbation theory for helium atoms, so what do you do instead, why use Hamiltonians vs Lagrangians etc 😉 )

I'm nearing retirement so no aspirations job wise and I'm doing it for my own interest

• 8 months later...

It sounds like a very interesting program with a lot of flexibility in terms of the courses you can take. The different pathway options you mentioned are also great for students who may have different levels of experience in math and physics.

It's also great to hear that students will have the opportunity to study all of the Physics and Astro modules at Level 3, without having to choose between Astrophysics and Cosmology due to limited credits. Let's focus on utilizing the vast array of academic resources available to us, you can check the full details if you want. where I have personally found some great essays about lgbt recently. There are so many different resources to discover, it is really surprizing.

Edited by bjorncalton44

• 8 months later...