NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahshi FC100d

Hi everyone, I'm considering the purchase sometime soon of a Takahashi 4 inch apo refractor.

I'm purely visual and IF I ever decide to try astro photography it will only ever be basic stuff.

I have always wanted a Takahashi since I was a young man and life just got in the way. I'm considering The FC100 DZ is there any reason I should consider something else?

• Like 3

I’d take a 120 or 130 mm APO triplet over a 100 mm as the extra aperture helps. And it’s as much aperture as I’d use without mounting in an observatory. I also feel a triplet gives better colour correction at the expense of weight over the doublet. Cool down, well never really noticed it…

As far as brands, interested to know people feeling’s over whether you need to buy a scope with more than 0.95 Strehl as I suspect very few places on earth have the skies to make use of it night in and night out.

With so many premium scopes providing a certificate with 0.95 Strehl guaranteed then why go with paying Takahashi premium? And yes I know it’s alway nice to open Takahashi items in their blue and white boxes…

• Like 2

As @JeremyS says ... no :)

It's very light, it does wide field brilliantly, it takes as much magnification as you can throw at it, it's a joy to use, it's stunning to look through and stunning to look at. Mine is the DC but I think they are pretty similar.

Caveat ... I'm a tad biassed and obsessed :)

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In terms of pure useability, versatility, convenience and quality a 100mm Tak Fluorite doublet is hard to beat.

Moving up to a 120 or 130mm triplet is a totally different proposition in terms of size, weight and mounting requirements, and as such is likely to get less use.

I have the FC100DC and it is my most used scope, has been for quite a few years. It gives excellent lunar, planetary and double views, as well as widefield deep sky objects. It will sit nicely on a lightweight mount (Scopetech Zero for example) and be an easy carry out to the garden, or easily transportable to dark sites or away on holiday (even as carry on luggage DC, not DZ I don’t think)

I use mine frequently for white light solar observing with a Baader Coolwedge and it gives amazing views when the seeing is good.

I doubt you would regret it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Moving up to a 120 or 130mm triplet is a totally different proposition in terms of size, weight and mounting requirements, and as such is likely to get less use.

Using an A75 mount then the extra weight of the mount is a lot less than before?

I have a 5" with an AZ100 and a 4" double with a ScopeTech, I use the 5" more as minutes difference between setting them up. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Using an A75 mount then the extra weight of the mount is a lot less than before?

I have a 5" with an AZ100 and a 4" double with a ScopeTech, I use the 5" more as minutes difference between setting them up. 

I can only speak from experience and don’t want to derail the thread. The OP asked about 4” Tak doublets, and that is a very different proposition from a 5” triplet from a number of perspectives, so it’s best to stick to the topic.

• Like 2

I recently aquired a Tak FC100 DC (that's the little one, smaller focuser) from a fellow SGL member and it is an absolutely fantastic telescope. The images it produces are superb, exquisite detail, clear and crisp with zero false colour. Not only is it optically excellent but quite small and super lightweight compared to other 4" refractors I've owned. It is a perfect match for my GP2 mount but is so nimble it can also be used on my Porta II alt az for quick looks. The only downside for me is the Tak finder bracket is a bolt on type, but I have just ordered a Tak shoe that will take a standard Vixen type finder. Overall I'm very impressed and would definately recommend this scope for visual but if imaging I think the other versions (DF/DZ) would be better because of the larger focuser on those. This is the only scope I've owned that I can realistically get to use my Vixen 2.5mm SLV eyepiece with, giving a magnification of over 300x.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had the FC-100DC and now have the FC-100DZ… both superb scopes. I think the Takahashi 100mm fluorite doublets represent a pinnacle of size/portability versus performance 👍

There is very little difference between the DC and DZ optically, but small advantages for the DZ ergonomically… larger focuser with longer travel and sliding dew shield. However, it does weigh an additional kg.

Of course that is not to say that other scopes don’t, but if you have your heart on a Takahashi, then do get one… you won’t be disappointed 😀

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for the replies. 

JeremyS and MalcolmM   That's what I thought.

Space Hopper and Deadlake. I will be stretching myself to afford the FC100 so no way can I stretch to a TSA 120. In addition I like the idea of the lightweight doublet, it will be quick to cool so give me more opportunities to observe, light to move so less strain to set up and take down and I feel it is THE scope that will get used simply because of this. I have a big synscan dob that doesn't get much light because it's so darn heavy and I know that's the other end of the scale but it's similar in principle. 

Stu. You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly my thinking. A lightweight Takahashi doublet that will give awesome planetary and lunar views, very good widefield views and when conditions allow will also take higher magnifications. Surely that is almost the perfect scope.

Franklin, yes it is, too easy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

As @JeremyS says ... no :)

It's very light, it does wide field brilliantly, it takes as much magnification as you can throw at it, it's a joy to use, it's stunning to look through and stunning to look at. Mine is the DC but I think they are pretty similar.

Caveat ... I'm a tad biassed and obsessed :)

Malcolm

Thanks, they all seem to get a glowing report from owners. I'm glad yopure obsessed with yours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

In terms of pure useability, versatility, convenience and quality a 100mm Tak Fluorite doublet is hard to beat.

I have the FC100DC and it is my most used scope, has been for quite a few years. It gives excellent lunar, planetary and double views, as well as widefield deep sky objects. It will sit nicely on a lightweight mount (Scopetech Zero for example) and be an easy carry out to the garden, or easily transportable to dark sites or away on holiday (even as carry on luggage DC, not DZ I don’t think)

I use mine frequently for white light solar observing with a Baader Coolwedge and it gives amazing views when the seeing is good.

I doubt you would regret it.

Thanks Stu, I am glad you say it's your most used scope, that's the main reason for wanting one. I think it will get me out a lot more.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I recently aquired a Tak FC100 DC (that's the little one, smaller focuser) from a fellow SGL member and it is an absolutely fantastic telescope. The images it produces are superb, exquisite detail, clear and crisp with zero false colour. Not only is it optically excellent but quite small and super lightweight compared to other 4" refractors I've owned. It is a perfect match for my GP2 mount but is so nimble it can also be used on my Porta II alt az for quick looks. The only downside for me is the Tak finder bracket is a bolt on type, but I have just ordered a Tak shoe that will take a standard Vixen type finder. Overall I'm very impressed and would definately recommend this scope for visual but if imaging I think the other versions (DF/DZ) would be better because of the larger focuser on those. This is the only scope I've owned that I can realistically get to use my Vixen 2.5mm SLV eyepiece with, giving a magnification of over 300x.

Thank you for this report, it reinforces my thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I’ve had the FC-100DC and now have the FC-100DZ… both superb scopes. I think the Takahashi 100mm fluorite doublets represent a pinnacle of size/portability versus performance 👍

There is very little difference between the DC and DZ optically, but small advantages for the DZ ergonomically… larger focuser with longer travel and sliding dew shield. However, it does weigh an additional kg.

Of course that is not to say that other scopes don’t, but if you have your heart on a Takahashi, then do get one… you won’t be disappointed 😀

Thank you, further reinforcement, I'm hoping that all your positive comments will ease the pain of purchase. I'm convinced that owning the Tak will never be disappointing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ukskies said:

Thank you, further reinforcement, I'm hoping that all your positive comments will ease the pain of purchase. I'm convinced that owning the Tak will never be disappointing.

Well, think that the cost of purchase will be spread out over the many years that you will own and enjoy one of the finest 4-inch telescopes available 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Well, think that the cost of purchase will be spread out over the many years that you will own and enjoy one of the finest 4-inch telescopes available 

Thanks JeremyS, I will try to think of it that way plus I have wanted a Takahashi since I was a young man so think what I have missed out on. It's only money.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ukskies said:

Thanks JeremyS, I will try to think of it that way plus I have wanted a Takahashi since I was a young man so think what I have missed out on. It's only money.

Every time you pick it up to take outside for a viewing session, you will know you have one of the best scopes around 😀

People spend far far more, for far less in hobbies… golf, watches, cars etc! This scope should last a lifetime and will never “go out of fashion” 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 3

I'm feeling your excitement :) Like others have said, I really don't think you will be disappointed. I have never owned a Dob but many say a 4" refractor compliments them. All telescopes are compromises of one feature or another but a high quality doublet not only ticks most of the boxes but in my opinion ticks them in big bold red ink :)

Malcolm

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ukskies said:

Thank you everyone for the replies. 

Space Hopper and Deadlake. I will be stretching myself to afford the FC100 so no way can I stretch to a TSA 120. In addition I like the idea of the lightweight doublet, it will be quick to cool so give me more opportunities to observe, light to move so less strain to set up and take down and I feel it is THE scope that will get used simply because of this. I have a big synscan dob that doesn't get much light because it's so darn heavy and I know that's the other end of the scale but it's similar in principle. 

Fair play.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

I'd love to hear how it performs when you get it. Best of luck.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ukskies said:

will ease the pain of purchase

I wish I'd just bought one from the start. I've had many refractors over the years and I do not want to add up the total cost. If I did I am quite sure it would be several times the cost of the FC100DC. On the other hand I have enjoyed using all my scopes. 

• Like 3