Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Scout SS60-DS

I am thinking of saving up for one of these - just wondering how good they are? Or should I get the bigger 80mm refractor I long for, bite the bullet and save for a Quark. Iam a bit put off by the SS60-DS because the 60mm aperture can't be changed easily, but the price is a very strong factor...

The quality of the SS60-DS is a bit variable so best to buy from a local dealer who will exchange it if you aren’t satisfied. I had one but sold ot on as it wasn’t a good performer visually although OK for imaging. 

Even the regular Quarks can be a bit hit and miss so again buy from a local dealer. The higher end Quark stuff seems to have better quality control though. 

Having said that a lot of SS60-DS owners are happy with theirs but just be aware that you might have to exchange to get a good one.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

As noted by Roy, above, it, too, is my first Ha scope. Together with the SolarQuest tracking mount, It takes several minutes for the "warm up" indicator light to turn green, and to settle again after any changes to the tuning switch. However, the mount locks on after about 30 seconds, and the views of sun spots are still excellent whilst the Quark is settling. The fine detail "texture" of the solar disk, and the edge prominences are the major plus over a normal scope with solar film.

Although I tend to use mine with a 32mm Plossl eyepiece, for a view of the full solar disk, and shorter focal length eyeoieces for sectors of the disk, I have also used it with my GPCAM to tease out a bit more detail by adjusting the camera's settings and using a "live view" on my laptop. I have no idea what the neighbours think, seeing me with a thick towel over my head and laptop, whilst extending my arm to adjust the SS60's focus - it's the only way I can get enough contrast on the screen, when in full sunlight.

The SS60 also seems to have an undocumented feature; when set up, and stable, with a clear, blue, sky, small clouds will suddenly appear in just the small area of sky between you and the Sun, and they can be slow to drift away.

If I only have a short time for solar observing, I use a conventional scope with solar film, but, for longer sessions, it's the SS60.

There may be better Ha scopes, but I have no regrets over my purchase.

Geoff

I got one for the summer time just to fill in the gap between late may and early August when I cant get to do the deepsky stuff. I have had it about 2 years and for me it does the job. I use it with my guide camera for imaging and although the processing is a bit of a faf Im happy with the results i get. As said above there may bet better options out there but I am more than happy with this little scope.

Just be aware they are the etalons that didn’t make the grade for Daystar’s more expensive ranges. There is a lot of variation in examples. On average, they will show a less uniform view, with less contrast on surface details, than other options. But there are also good ones out there - some really excellent.