Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Going, going, gone, the Southern window just got a lot bigger!!!!

Pete Presland

The south from my garden has been pretty poor for some years. As any regular long time followers of my planetary imaging sessions will know the low altitude of the planets has been very tricky to capture due to the rows of nearby conifers. I had on average from the very bottom of the garden a 60 minute window for them, unfortunately this was when they were on their way down as well.

This week the view has somewhat improved, still not great but much better!

Imaging from behind the willow (on the right) is where i had the only decent view.

here.thumb.jpg.36ec7acf9c49b5cc10ed7fd4fd722236.jpg

going.thumb.jpg.144c9fe2c0fce4be701fb84127bf90c7.jpggone.thumb.jpg.c519febfa724a9c1bdae26cfdeb8c5fc.jpg

Now when i set at the bottom of the garden i have a pretty decent  view  as the planets are at their highest point in the sky.

This will also help the Solar imaging sessions, maybe the remaining conifers might go at some as well 🙂 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Floater said:

Always an ambivalence for me when trees go … but I understand your point of view. (Pun intended.)

Enjoy. 🙂

I would have the same feelings for most deciduous trees, but these conifers do not offer as much as you might think to the wildlife.  Obviously the birds might disagree 🙂 I think the 2 trees in front of where the conifers were will certainly enjoy their new found freedom. 

My local RSPB lodge has been removing huge amounts of coniferous trees to encourage  the growth of more  wildlife friendly trees that allow plants to grow under their shade.

• Like 2

As much as I hate cutting down trees I do have a couple that I will be getting rid of to help improve the views.  I will plant a dozen new ones in the back 40 to replace them