Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Dobsonian family

Amusing photo of three dobs: 

IMG_20220218_162948.thumb.jpg.b1ae0286ddbb635cc9a952695fd456b1.jpg

From left to right: 

My daughter's Skywatcher Heritage 100p, my SW Heritage 150p Flextube and my new StellaLyra 200. So the SL is only double the aperture of the little dob, but look at the difference in the size! 😱

BTW, anyone in the market for a beginner's scope for yourself, children etc: do consider the 100p. We took it out for its first light tonight and I was astounded my its images with some halfway-decent eyepieces. Views using my Vixen 30mm and a BST Starguider 8mm were brilliant, if of course not very highly magnified (the 8mil gives 50x mag). But even then we got M42 with a tiny Trapezium and nebulosity and great views of the moon. My daughter was delighted with it. Just for a laugh, I tried my Pentax XW 5 mm on it - the EP was almost as big as the scope (and twice the price)! 😄 It gave really excellent views too.

So the 100p looks like a child's toy but is in fact a very capable scope, if you use some decent eyepieces on it. With a good quality Barlow, I'm sure it would be quite happy at 100x or more.

• Like 10

Great shot! Those Heritage scopes are certainly very capable, optically very good. They make great starter scopes, but are good enough to remain as very useful travel scopes even for the more experienced.

• Like 1