Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra 8" dob - unboxing

21 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

As I expected, Ms cajen came in, took one look at it and said, " It's huge! It's not staying there!" So didn't want to go to plan B (storing the two parts separately - didn't want the OTA standing on its end), so evolved plan C - under the stairs, along with some substantial furniture shifting. Even she's now happy....😉

Phew! I was worried for a moment that Plan C might involve some damage to Ms Cajen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Actually, the SL already has colour-coded thumbscrews for the primary adjustment and locking. The springs....I'll wait and see.

Well, the RACI came with a shoe and mount, and the extra Rigel Quickfinder will go to the side of that. I've adopted @Astro_Dad's idea of temporarily attaching the Rigel with magnets till I'm sure where it's best to go.

I just reread my post and I wrote primary, I meant the screws for the secondary.  Sorry about that.

Just now, Mike Q said:

I just reread my post and I wrote primary, I meant the screws for the secondary.  Sorry about that.

Ah, ok. I actually have a set of Bob's Knobs which I bought for my old Flextube 150 and never fitted. If they're the same thread, I might use those.

9 hours ago, cajen2 said:

As I expected, Ms cajen came in, took one look at it and said, " It's huge! It's not staying there!" So didn't want to go to plan B (storing the two parts separately - didn't want the OTA standing on its end), so evolved plan C - under the stairs, along with some substantial furniture shifting. Even she's now happy....😉

Same with my Mrs, yet half our bedroom is taken up as a craft workshop 🤔 it's alright for some! 

5 minutes ago, OK Apricot said:

Same with my Mrs, yet half our bedroom is taken up as a craft workshop 🤔 it's alright for some! 

Our spare bedroom is all a craft workshop and her exercise bike takes up far more room than my scope....but apparently that's fine. 😄

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OK Apricot said:

7 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Our spare bedroom is all a craft workshop and her exercise bike takes up far more room than my scope....but apparently that's fine. 😄

Seems to be a theme here :) our spare bedroom is also a craft room, my astro equipment is crammed in the little cupboard under the stairs.

22 hours ago, cajen2 said:

The only negatives:

You need the (supplied) extension to achieve focus.

That means you can remove the extension and easily get focus with a DSLR / T-piece. 

More importantly - does it have  the new scope smell?

Just now, Pixies said:

That means you can remove the extension and easily get focus with a DSLR / T-piece. 

More importantly - does it have  the new scope smell?

Yeah.....I'm the world's worst photographer (see any of my posts for confirmation!) so I've never been very interested in AP for myself. I just look at other people's stuff.

Yes, had the new scope smell as soon as I opened the box!

Just checked the collimation, expecting the worst after the scope's journey up the M5.....and it's perfect. I looked long and hard to try and find something to twiddle and make it worth while, but zilch. Let's hope that's a good omen for the future! 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just for anyone with the same scope:

IMG_20220315_125855.thumb.jpg.2196a2ac9c77b1aba409a6ba1cde9212.jpg

Oklop bag for the OTA. This is a generic one, clearly, but fits the SL like a glove IF you take the alt pivots off the side. It's strong, padded and has a perfect balance point, both with the handles and the shoulder strap. Size: 200/1200 Newtonian.

Light pollution around my garden means I have to travel for darker skies, so off tonight to investigate some nearby spots. This bag will make the whole thing so much easier.

• Like 2

It's much easier to carry with the bag, either with the handles or over the shoulder. I really wouldn't like to shift it inside a blanket. I may have to trek hundreds of yards with it to find a viewing spot.

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

It's much easier to carry with the bag, either with the handles or over the shoulder. I really wouldn't like to shift it inside a blanket. I may have to trek hundreds of yards with it to find a viewing spot.

Oh, I just carry my Dob by the handles on each part, but I never carry it more than 100 feet.  My 15" Dob has its own flat dolly with heavy duty castors and pull rope to move it about.

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

Oh, I just carry my Dob by the handles on each part, but I never carry it more than 100 feet.  My 15" Dob has its own flat dolly with heavy duty castors and pull rope to move it about.

Yes, I made my own dolly for mine, but it isn't exactly an off-road model.....😄

Yes, mine is intended for groomed lawns and fields, such as setting up on a soccer field for a star party after driving my van to the edge of the field.  Driving on such fields is highly discouraged. 😉

• Like 1

If the StellaLyra is anything like the Skywatcher equivalent it’s not that often that you will need to adjust the secondary or primary mirrors. I certainly have no reason to change the Allen key or Phillips head bolts or change the primary mirror springs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spile said:

If the StellaLyra is anything like the Skywatcher equivalent it’s not that often that you will need to adjust the secondary or primary mirrors. I certainly have no reason to change the Allen key or Phillips head bolts or change the primary mirror springs.

I've had mine only a month and keep checking collimation, but so far, I've only needed the slightest of tweaks on the primary and none on the secondary at all. Hope that continues!

• Like 1

A friend has just bought the StellaLyra but he was surprised that it came with absolutely no (printed or PDF) set up guide or manual. This is in contrast to the Skywatcher which came with a printed set up guide and basic telescope users guide.

25 minutes ago, Spile said:

A friend has just bought the StellaLyra but he was surprised that it came with absolutely no (printed or PDF) set up guide or manual. This is in contrast to the Skywatcher which came with a printed set up guide and basic telescope users guide.

That's right.. FLO gives an 'assembly manual' on their website but it's just a list of parts and an exploded diagram - no instructions. Having said that, I managed without difficulty and I'm not the world's most practical person.....

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1