NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tele vue plossls

ninjageezer

still looking at some eyepieces ,I am considering the TV plossls mainly for the high quality and I am used to the plossls that I have already although poor quality.

scope is a fast F4.7 so im guessing these will be as perfect as I can get for this scope .

anyone use them on here with similar setup .for planetary mainly.

Yes, I’ve used them and can say they are certainly worth the money - a step up compared to other plossls and worth investment as if treated with care will last you a long time. 

The two downsides to plossls are less eye relief (they aren’t uncomfortable, but usually don’t give enough for wearing glasses) and a smaller field of view - for that in the TeleVue range you’d be looking at much more expensive eyepieces.

If you can, I’d suggest seeing if you can find some second hand, if you don’t like them then sell on, and if you do you’ve saved the extra cost of getting new.

I've acquired a few recently to upgrade some budget eyepieces I had. The views are sharp, fov is kind of limiting. I've actually got a budget 20mm which offers a similar level of performance at a fraction of the cost, compared to the 20mm TV it only suffers with CA in the outer 10% and sharpness dips around the outer 20% (these are obv subjective). WO swans are similar too though not quite as sharp. I wouldn't say TV plossls are the be all end all especially if you're on a budget.

I have and use the 8, 13 & 15mm TV Plossl's with my TV Ranger [images below] which is an f/6.8 - I purchased it in 1998. 
Since then, I have purchased and use other TV e/p's as shown/listed below...

• 13mm Nagler (type 1 & 6)
  • 3-6mm Nagler zoom
  • 6 & 8 mm Radian
  • 1.8x Barlow lens

PIC044.JPG.54acb21c9b4e6e69cda54fdd37a1defe.JPG<--- my TV 13mm e/p's.TV_RANGER_G.JPG.4b2dd28ba1bed30aae47119698858f49.JPG<--- the TeleVue Ranger.

I sometimes find the field of view can be a little tight and/or intimidating with TV Plossl's... but eye relief is good with a crisp, sharp view.

I don't know whether it is me, but there is something magical or mystical about using 'TeleVue'. Apologies in advance if it annoys/upsets SGL'ers that use the other manufacturer/brand that also begins with the letter 'T'.

My first TV ep was a Plossl, I still have some and enjoy them, but
all Plossl have short eye relief and shorter focal length,
so perhaps other EP are easier on the eyeball.
I use Takahashi LE etc. at shorter FL 

I also own wider FOV ep as well, so can treat myself depending upon the mood and objects observed.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 1