NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power tank shortages?

Hey guys, bit of a random question

Is anyone aware of a shortage/delay in availability of power tanks? Specifically stuff like the Celestron Lithium 13.2 Ah LiFePO4 Powertank Pro?

It seems that a lot of things are starting to pick up again, my EQ6 R Pro was delivered in 2 days over a month ago, but its been over a month since I have order the power tank (same order).

It had a 2-4 working day delay at the time of ordering.

Checked other suppliers out of interest and they also had none. Saw two on Amazon, but they were £50+ more anyway.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same or has heard anything?

Edited by Iem1

I never understand why people buy these 'power tanks'.

Many of them are designed originally for starting cars in an emergency - they contain a battery that is designed to output immense power for a short period and then be recharged.

Our needs are for low power for a long time and not necessarily being recharged straight away - in other words we need a 'leisure' battery.

A good brand of leisure battery with a similar capacity can be easily obtained for well under £20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YUASA-ELEC-ALARM-BATTERY-NP7-12/dp/B00SJI8NWM/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=house+alarm+battery&qid=1644678434&sr=8-16

Ten minutes making up suitable connectors pop it in an old camera bag making it easy to carry and protects it from the cold and 'bob's your uncle'.

Edited by Skipper Billy
  • Like 2

Yeah, perhaps it's just the Celestron Lithium 13.2 Ah LiFePO4 Powertank Pro I ordered. And sods law, soon as I order one they are nowhere to be found! 

Billy, for safe, ease of use, plug in and go reliability for the technically challenged among us. Not everyone has the tools or knowledge required, or indeed the time to learn how. 

last thing I want to worry about out in the sticks in the middle of the night is a finicky DIY adapted battery. Rather just plug something purpose built  in, and away t'go.

in the grand scheme of how much most of us spend, im not losing sleep over £200 if it does the same (or better) more reliably and safely :D

• Like 1

The Bresser power tank perhaps🤔

https://www.bresseruk.com/Astronomy/BRESSER-Portable-Power-Supply-100-Watt.html

They do a much higher capacity power station as well but £££££££££ 🙀

https://www.bresseruk.com/Astronomy/BRESSER-Portable-Power-Station-500-Watt.html?listtype=search&searchparam=power supply

BC0FBA92-BC4A-4042-AF8C-9DF039D4A1D1.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

A good brand of leisure battery with a similar capacity can be easily obtained for well under £20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YUASA-ELEC-ALARM-BATTERY-NP7-12/dp/B00SJI8NWM/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=house+alarm+battery&qid=1644678434&sr=8-16

Ten minutes making up suitable connectors pop it in an old camera bag making it easy to carry and protects it from the cold and 'bob's your uncle'.

The LifePO4 batteries are lightweight for their capacity, and you don't have to remember to keep topping them up. For those of who have to set up and tear down each session, it just makes things a little easier. I stick mine between the tripod legs with the torch on while setting up to make sure I don't trip over anything!

45 minutes ago, Iem1 said:

Yeah, perhaps it's just the Celestron Lithium 13.2 Ah LiFePO4 Powertank Pro I ordered. And sods law, soon as I order one they are nowhere to be found! 

They are also in stock at Picstop (which is where I bought mine) and £30 less than the FLO price - Celestron Powertank Pro

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

I never understand why people buy these 'power tanks'.

Many of them are designed originally for starting cars in an emergency - they contain a battery that is designed to output immense power for a short period and then be recharged.

Our needs are for low power for a long time and not necessarily being recharged straight away - in other words we need a 'leisure' battery.

I took your advice and built my own with a deep cycle marine battery lasts at least 3 sessions, I have never tried it longer just weekends away. 

I am also deliberating over portable power supply arrangement.

Is a battery like the 12V 12Ah LiFePO4 as link below suitable for running a mount and USB devices / lap top etc?  

RoyPow 12V 12Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery, 3500~8000 Cycles Rechargeable Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery for Kid Scooters, Fios,Power Wheels, Solar System, UPS RV/Camper, Fish Finder : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science