Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Money in pocket - please help the inevitable happen

Hi all,

The FOV of the two scopes I currently use are below and as you’ll see there’s quite a difference so I’m looking for something to fill the gap

My budget is around the £1600 mark.  I’ve had a reflector in the past and I’m afraid the combination of my OCD along with lack of technical ability made the whole collimation thing too stressful so it’s a refractor I’m looking for.  Within the budget I don’t want to be buying anything extra so the package needs to include a flat field and fit in with my current cameras/Mount (see signature). I’m at the start of my AP journey but want something that when life allows and I can spend time post processing I won’t want to sell it and buy again. So far I’m looking at:

WO RedCat 71

Stella Mira 90mm ED Triplet

I’m interested in thoughts/experiences with these two plus very open to any other suggestions.  Also, when imaging at this scale with an OSC camera is manual focussing ok or do I need to factor in an EAF or similar?  Finally with the 4/3 sensor size of the 294MC Pro do I need a field flattener?

Thanks

Andrew

astronomy_tools_fov 3.png

The Stellamira and Redcat have quite different FL's so you need to consider how widefield you want to go. I have the StellaMira and it is an excellent scope but I think both are pretty good choices (as is the GT81 above). You will need the FF for the Stella, but it would still squeeze into your budget.

34 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I'd definitely go with an EAF though!

Thanks for that - money to spare too 😂

Out of interest, do you find the need to counter the weight of the EAF on the other side of the OTA for balance?

23 minutes ago, Priesters said:

Thanks for that - money to spare too 😂

Out of interest, do you find the need to counter the weight of the EAF on the other side of the OTA for balance?

Not that I've noticed. I've posted this image a few times so apologies but pictures and words etc... As you can see I have a filter wheel too and that gets rotated as need be so can be in any position really. I still guide at 0.6-0.8 quite easily so I think the balance is ok and not affected in any negative way.

GT81_MS.jpg.9168d8ca0fdbd09ec51b7dcf2bdb7f93.jpg

• Like 1

So far I've not heard a bad word said about the stellarmira.. fantastic looking scope with a good performance record so far.. A friend has one and the images that he's got from it so far are really good.. and he's not given any negative feedback 

The W/O 71 is very very new but i have an issue with them so my point of view isn't a positive one..

Finally it's the optics that need correcting not the camera.. not in the case of the 71 as I think it's a petzval design meaning it's like a quad.. 3 elements in the front with another in the back..meaning you won't need a flattener or have think about spacing distance go the camera, effectively it's already been done 

If you're looking at getting either 1 they're different apertures and focal lengths... what's your other equipment,  I've never found this mentioned signature, don't know if it shows on a android phone or not

14 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

what's your other equipment, 

see below, but probably not that relevant on reflection :

Meade LX200 8” ACF with 0.62 Optec Lepus Reducer and ZWO ASI 294 MC Pro

JMI Crayford Focuser with ZWO  EAF auto focuser

EQ6R Pro Mount

Skywatcher EvoGuide 50, Starizona FF2 and ZWO ASI 294 MC

Optolong L’Enhance filter

• Like 1

On 05/02/2022 at 17:53, scotty38 said:

I've posted this image a few times so apologies but pictures and words etc...

I sprung for the WO GT 81 plus 0.8 field flattener in the end and it just arrived today so expect clouds!  
In a blatant attempt at homework stealing - is your back spacing the 62.1mm as published on WO website or have you had to experiment a bit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Priesters said:

I sprung for the WO GT 81 plus 0.8 field flattener in the end and it just arrived today so expect clouds!  
In a blatant attempt at homework stealing - is your back spacing the 62.1mm as published on WO website or have you had to experiment a bit?

I am biased but great choice, hope you enjoy it, which colour? 🙂

Yes I think it is 62.1 and I dialled in 7.1mm on the flattener and all seems ok. I do see slightly less round stars in the top right hand corner but not enough to make me want to tweak the settings as I'm convinced I'll just make it worse. I can't recall offhand which extensions I added but it is exactly as described on the WO site.

Edit: I meant I followed the spacers etc from here:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/tutorials/best-back-focus-length-solutions-55mm.html

Edited by scotty38