Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spaghetti Nebula in H(HO)O

Adreneline

This image was another collaboration with @geeklee where we shared our Ha and OIII.  It comprises a total of 21 hours of Ha and 18 hours of OIII.  The Ha data is a mix of mosaic data and "all in one" where our differing setups attempted to cover the whole of the nebula.

The capture for this was started on 17th November 2021 and include subs from 17th Nov 2021 through to 21st Jan 2022.  Most of the data was captured by both of us with the Samyang 135 @ F2.6 (with stop down ring).  About 7 hours of  OIII data was collected with my RedCat+ASI1600MM.

Processing has been a real challenge. A little more detail has been squeezed out by using Ha as L so the image is really LRGB (L)H(HO)O. The star field in this region is particularly 'busy' so I have suppressed the stars a little to let the nebula and fine detail come through.

Thanks are due to Lee not only for the data but also for critique and advice in the processing trail and for being a shoulder to cry on when the technology, or the weather, or the Moon conspire to spoil your night.

Thank you for looking.

Sh2-240-H(HO)O.thumb.png.63a10ec0a4868a9f40190560c741d2d2.png

... and a starless version for those partial to these things (like me!):

Sh2-240-starless.thumb.png.56d30577a21e1b7470ee689e8a611a79.png

... and an annotated version revealing a planetary nebula for those with mega-focal-length scopes:

Sh2-240_Annotated.thumb.jpg.67e7c0fb4594511faaa42215318a44db.jpg

Sh2-240_FindingChart.jpg.0907a2757d494bbd7b24a934806baf6c.jpg

Adrian

• Like 25

Great to see this version of the data appear Adrian, excellent job.  I like the colour palette and you went all in with the full 183MM resolution - good on you.  That faint OIII is popping up everywhere - I'm glad you managed to add in the extra 7 hours.  The reduced star field really shows off the nebula.

Best work out the next scope you'll need to do PK178-02.1 justice. 
image.png.c0033b0cfd5be1f568d38d9bd549501a.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomato said:

Superb Spaghetti, total respect for achieving all those hours of integration, even as a collaboration.

Great to see images of this quality being taken from the grey UK.👍

Thank you!

I am really pleased to be able to share data capture with Lee - having virtually identical equipment makes it so much easier too - and it certainly helps when it comes to combating the weather!

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

I'm glad you managed to add in the extra 7 hours.

I've got to say I could barely detect any difference between with or without the extra data, in fact I was more than a little concerned the extra noise might be going against me.

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

Best work out the next scope you'll need to do PK178-02.1 justice.

When it comes to PN's then size is everything! Do you think my CEM25 would cope with this? FLO have one left in stock!

Adrian

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tomato said:

Awesome...👍

8 minutes ago, Paul Holdsworth said:

Both are stunning images but I actually prefer the colour palette in the first one. Beautiful images 👍  

Thank you both for your generous comments.

Adrian

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Oh I missed this post..  great results, well done. I’ve always thought this was a “pasta” too far to get decent results under uk skies. You’ve definitely proved it’s viable now!

Thank you! It is a really challenging target, especially the OIII. Sharing data with @geeklee who operates the same equipment certainly helps but even then it is a challenge getting it all together. Glad you like it.

Adrian

• Like 2