Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding Problems - Poor Polar Alignment?

If your mount driver supplies PHD2 with the mount's RA and Dec, you should Calibrate near Dec = 0 and near south.

Because the amount of RA guiding is dependant on the Dec position of the target, and PHD2 will compensate if it knows the Dec of the target.

If not, typically with ST-4 guiding, or a poorly written driver, you should Calibrate on target, Ian has this setup.

This is what the PHD2 developers stipulate.

Michael

Edited by michael8554

6 hours ago, michael8554 said:

If your mount driver supplies PHD2 with the mount's RA and Dec, you should Calibrate near Dec = 0 and near south.

Because the amount of RA guiding is dependant on the Dec position of the target, and PHD2 will compensate if it knows the Dec of the target.

If not, typically with ST-4 guiding, or a poorly written driver, you should Calibrate on target, Ian has this setup.

This is what the PHD2 developers stipulate.

Michael

It's ST-4 guiding, so I do the calibration on target.

42 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

I'm actually thinking of upgrading to the SW Synscan PRO goto option, for my EQ5 Deluxe mount.  That being said, is there a market for slightly used EQ5 Enhanced dual axis motors kit?🤔

I remember the discussions had when you were considering your options, and mentioning the impact on your wallet should you choose to upgrade in stages rather than jumping straight in to a pro goto set up.  I'm sure you'll have no problem selling your enhanced motor kit on the classified section, mainly as there are people like you who want to upgrade their mount but can't justify the initial outlay for the synscan option, and are in that same dilemma as you were at the time. As your kit is just months old and like new you could get upwards of 75% of the amount you paid, especially if it is still with the original packaging.

The pro goto does, IMO offer a lot more options.  Check with the supplier (FLO ?) that the upgrade is one of the new generation with a USB-B port on the sysnscan controller.  This gives you the option of a direct PC connection without the need to purchase an optional EQDIR cable.  You can then use EQMOD or GSServer  and ASCOM (windows) or INDI (Linux) to control and pulse guide the mount through PHD2, which is a lot more refined than ST4 (IMO).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian McCallum said:

I'm wondering if this may be responsible for some of the Dec backlash problems I've been having? 🤔

If so, it's rather embarrassing that I didn't spot it earlier. 😳🙄

20220218_105339.jpg

Hi Ian

Not sure what this is you've posted ?

I'm guessing these are switches to change the direction of slews.

An intuitive thing:

When I press the UP button I want the OTA to move up.

OR 

When I press the UP button I want the stars to move UP in the eyepiece/finder ie the OTA moves down.

(All depending on any flips due to the optics)

Shouldn't have any affect on guiding, PHD2 will work out which way the mount is moving by the Calibration results.

Michael

• Like 1

20 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Ian

Not sure what this is you've posted ?

I'm guessing these are switches to change the direction of slews.

An intuitive thing:

When I press the UP button I want the OTA to move up.

OR 

When I press the UP button I want the stars to move UP in the eyepiece/finder ie the OTA moves down.

(All depending on any flips due to the optics)

Shouldn't have any affect on guiding, PHD2 will work out which way the mount is moving by the Calibration results.

Michael

You're correct. I did a bit of experimentation with PHD2 and some other software, which showed that the slide switches on the side of the hand controller, only affect the buttons and nothing else.

22 hours ago, malc-c said:

I remember the discussions had when you were considering your options, and mentioning the impact on your wallet should you choose to upgrade in stages rather than jumping straight in to a pro goto set up.  I'm sure you'll have no problem selling your enhanced motor kit on the classified section, mainly as there are people like you who want to upgrade their mount but can't justify the initial outlay for the synscan option, and are in that same dilemma as you were at the time. As your kit is just months old and like new you could get upwards of 75% of the amount you paid, especially if it is still with the original packaging.

The pro goto does, IMO offer a lot more options.  Check with the supplier (FLO ?) that the upgrade is one of the new generation with a USB-B port on the sysnscan controller.  This gives you the option of a direct PC connection without the need to purchase an optional EQDIR cable.  You can then use EQMOD or GSServer  and ASCOM (windows) or INDI (Linux) to control and pulse guide the mount through PHD2, which is a lot more refined than ST4 (IMO).

It was a false economy, for me.  I didn't think I would need to upgrade, at the time. I'm not saying it will cure any mount alignment problems, etc, but it should make things a bit easier.  I'm still perfecting polar alignment, etc.  I'm actually getting faster putting the set up together - it's like doing repetitive drills, to become better.😉

On 18/02/2022 at 13:09, malc-c said:

Auntie @FLOconfirmed that it's the latest incarnation of the hand controller, with the USB type B connector.👍

• 2 weeks later...