Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone for a 20” Mak 😁

Yes I’m internet to see how the big 9” lzos will do being a air spaced triplet on temperature issues 🤔 they do take longer than oil spaced to reach thermal equilibrium , I will also test it on Mars and Jupiter come late summer against the 10” maknewt, will be interesting to see 

stu 

6 hours ago, stuy said:

Yes this year will be good 👍  you still doing lots of imaging Neil? You’ve put out some great stuff last good Jupiter apparition a few years ago , 

The pandemic seems to have pushed me back Stuy. I got burned out after many years..  And sold everything apart from my trusty Orion. Couldnt bring myself to sell it. After cleaning the 10" mirror and fitting a Antares secondary. The old scope seems to be performing well. Now with the 8"CC  making those stop gaps between setting the big scope up. More productive. When Jupiter returns The CC Will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting.  Under ideal conditions. Switching back to the bigger optic..

But i do expect the Stella Lyra to do very well. And for many is the ideal instrument going into this period of better placed planets.

Have you done any imaging ? 

Some planets last year very low Stuy. All before i got the ADC running 

Jupiter 2021.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2

Lovely stuff mate considering the elevation 👏no just visual now maybe some sketching I’ve invested heavily over the years upsizing scopes to get what I think is best scope for visual works here in the UK the 9” f9 lzos was a big investment but that’s me done now on scopes it will be permanently mounted in observatory, and for scopes to take out to dark sites I’ve the 12” zen or  10” mak newt both heavy but doable ! I lost the love for astronomy after years of imaging I forgot what it actually looked like through a eyepiece!!! But now enjoy the visual so much I’m only limited by seeing as we all are here in the Uk  roll on Jupiter and Mars !!!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stuy said:

Lovely stuff mate considering the elevation 👏no just visual now maybe some sketching I’ve invested heavily over the years upsizing scopes to get what I think is best scope for visual works here in the UK the 9” f9 lzos was a big investment but that’s me done now on scopes it will be permanently mounted in observatory, and for scopes to take out to dark sites I’ve the 12” zen or  10” mak newt both heavy but doable ! I lost the love for astronomy after years of imaging I forgot what it actually looked like through a eyepiece!!! But now enjoy the visual so much I’m only limited by seeing as we all are here in the Uk  roll on Jupiter and Mars !!!!!

Your instruments sound absolutely stunning. When the planets return your going to get some amazing views. I suffered a similair problem as you. It took me a while to start appreciating astronomy again doing more visual. Getting some 80mm binos really helped pull me back to the simplicity of appreciating the night sky Again.  Enjoying imaging again too. But must not lose sight of  the fact that relaxing with the night sky doing nothing but appreciating it. is important too So understand exactly what you mean.

• Like 1