SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone for a 20” Mak 😁

Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope 500 mm f/8.5 ( focal length 4250 mm )

https://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/maksutov-cassegrain-telescope-500-mm-f85-focal-length-4250-mm-

A mere €83193.28 ex Β tax Β  Β Eeeek. πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€

Wonder how many weeks it takes to cool down. 😁

Β 

034E54A0-3C91-4C5D-8FBA-2E0ECFA04E69.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

I was building a 16" Mak in the late 70's but unfortunately the corrector shattered during fine grinding due to an annealing issue.Β  The project eventually became a Dall-Kirkham with an optical window, the aperture increased to 17" as the primary was oversize to suit the Mak.Β  The telescope was made for and still owned and used by noted amateur David Gray.

There is a very large Maksutov variant at St Andrew's University.Β  Β  Β πŸ™‚

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

it literally will have to be kept in an air conditioned room.

bet the planetary views are incredible

My thoughts exactly, any challengers in the planetary views department would be left defeated, exiled, and left for dead πŸ˜‚

Edited by Sunshine

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

An APM 1.2 metre cassegrain perhaps. 😁

Β 

Β 

9D5BCD35-28AB-49B1-993B-B388B146BE10.jpeg

I can imagine getting up, getting a cup of coffee. And getting ready to see whats happening on Uranus and Neptune. (Actually a 12" will do that) But not as effectively. Bet jupiter is bright. And the moon painful sign me up. When we leavingΒ 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, johninderby said:

Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope 500 mm f/8.5 ( focal length 4250 mm )

https://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/maksutov-cassegrain-telescope-500-mm-f85-focal-length-4250-mm-

A mere €83193.28 ex Β tax Β  Β Eeeek. πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€

Wonder how many weeks it takes to cool down. 😁

Β 

034E54A0-3C91-4C5D-8FBA-2E0ECFA04E69.jpeg

Well if you keep it outside in an obsy it's always ambient, if you don't then your crazy.Β 

• Like 1

Nice scope !! But cooling issues are easily solved with maksutov scopes of 12” and under with the correct insulation πŸ‘my 12” maksutov Is good to go straight away , don’t know about a 20” tho but I’m sure there are ways πŸ˜‰Β 05E045EA-5268-4E9B-A2EC-F63BDD92B00C.thumb.jpeg.05fdab6879d2fb426addd5d15e6954e5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 27/01/2022 at 03:20, neil phillips said:

Dont forget about summer and falling night temperatures. Some kind of air conditioning needed during the day most likelyΒ 

Insulate the observatory is the way to go on this Neil , there’s never more than a couple of degrees difference between inside and out , I’ve also got the roof vented on the sides , will be interesting to see how the big Β 9” apo does when it arrives in a couple of weeks πŸ€”stuΒ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stuy said:

Insulate the observatory is the way to go on this Neil , there’s never more than a couple of degrees difference between inside and out , I’ve also got the roof vented on the sides , will be interesting to see how the big Β 9” apo does when it arrives in a couple of weeks πŸ€”stuΒ 

Fair enoughΒ  you will know more about this than me. Was just thinking if the ob gets warm during summer day. The scope would store that. And struggle to release it with falling night temperature. I have no direct experience keeping scopes outside though. My old 12" Newt was a nightmare. But wasnt stored outside Hence your knowledge will be better. Theres also the insulate scope question. Has that ever been proven to be effective ?

• Like 1

Insulation on a scope slows the temperature drop mate massively makes a high difference on maksutov design I had my doubts like every one else BUT it’s a revelation!!! Wish I knew this years ago to be fairΒ 

5 minutes ago, stuy said:

Insulation on a scope slows the temperature drop mate massively makes a high difference on maksutov design I had my doubts like every one else BUT it’s a revelation!!! Wish I knew this years ago to be fairΒ 

Never tried it. ButΒ  Everyone that has, says exactly what you just did. Seen others do it with open tubes. But sealed apparently is more effective.Β  Im all open now apart from refractors

• Like 1

Yes I’m internet to see how the big 9” lzos will do being a air spaced triplet on temperature issues πŸ€” they do take longer than oil spaced to reach thermal equilibrium , I will also test it on Mars and Jupiter come late summer against the 10” maknewt, will be interesting to seeΒ 

stuΒ 

9 hours ago, stuy said:

Yes I’m internet to see how the big 9” lzos will do being a air spaced triplet on temperature issues πŸ€” they do take longer than oil spaced to reach thermal equilibrium , I will also test it on Mars and Jupiter come late summer against the 10” maknewt, will be interesting to seeΒ 

stuΒ 

The summer is going to be great for planets in the Uk. Those with decent optics should do very well. Both visually and imaging. Hoping to get venus in the morning soon. Didnt see the point in a dedicated UV Filter it wont last long. before Venus is very poorly placed again, But got a W47 BG39 together. And a UG1 BG39. Combo. SeeΒ  if can get any UV.

Β 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1