Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M57 - Ring Nebula (and IC1296)

James

After botching my RGB on the Pinwheel I set everything up for a few minutes of the RIng Nebula that was about 20-25 degrees above the north eastern horizon by 2.20am.

Here's the result of 15x 1 minute L, 10x 1 minute each of Red, Green & Blue so 45 minutes in total.

I think that's IC1296, a Mag 15 galaxy, visible to the upper left of the Ring.

Notes for next time... use a Barlow! :)

Done on an FLT110, SXV-H9 camera using Baader LRGBC filters and an Astronomik CLS and kindly processed by SteveL.

James

post-13295-133877359232_thumb.jpg

Superb M57 James, you have captured a superb amount of detail set in a lovely widefield aspect with beautiful star colour.

Theres a lot more data in there to be extracted, I hope you don't mind but ran your image through Gradient Exterminator and then boosted the colour in Photoshop, I'm sure you can get a lot more out of your raw data.

Brendan

post-13788-133877359314_thumb.jpg

Great shot James, I've been eyeing this one myself the last couple of clear nights. Couldn't resist swing the dob round to have a peek at it (found it easier than the comet!)

You should definetly save these subs btw, M57 is one of those targets that really improves with added exposures, and the detail starts to come through even when you artificially enlarge the target.

(pssst, this one would also be an easy step into image processing btw, a good place to learn how to deal with stars and the colours are well known and documented in he ring to give you an idea...................)

Tim

I agree TJ one of the easiest objects to see.

And James love the image so bright and packed full of detail as Brendan has shown and I just think it's a great widefield.

You should definetly save these subs btw, M57 is one of those targets that really improves with added exposures, and the detail starts to come through even when you artificially enlarge the target.

I've saved all my subs - even the dreadfully overexposed M42 I did on my first night....:mad:

(pssst, this one would also be an easy step into image processing btw, a good place to learn how to deal with stars and the colours are well known and documented in he ring to give you an idea...................)

Funny you say that but I was just thinking that... :)

Archived