Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I've had a time processing this m31

This is 1/2 the data w/o my almost 3 hrs. Ha data , I've tried combining the Ha with the Red channel  and  substituted Ha for the Luminance channel and I'm  not getting the "That's it moment " that I get when I process the Ha by itself . Should I just add it as a layer in Photoshop ?  I've been really trying to understand what my next step is , this is what I did my 4th and 5th time before I hit the wall. Help please?

color5.1.jpg

color5.jpg

Edited by stepping beyond

It's difficult to analyse any problem based on processed images. If you are willing to share your stacked master images (tiff/fits format), with no processes applied whatsoever, then someone here might have a go at it and come up with a suggestion or two.

• 2 weeks later...

M31 generally looks like that from the stack and a single levels stretch, you have to stretch the levels multiple times, adjust brightness contrast, add layers, mask, adjust layer blend modes etc until you get something representing what you think it should look like. As @TheLazyAstronomer has suggested if you upload the unaltered stack here others can have a go processing to determine the quality of the data.

I tried again and didn't blow the core too much , I did better but, I" blue the background" ? I have to learn how to process this galaxy? Elp , I'll give it a go and do more adjusting and see how it is thank you.

m31-color--05.jpg

Edited by stepping beyond

If you're using PS to process, if it's becoming too blue, enable the histogram so you can see the levels of each R G B channel (it's on one of the RHS panels in PS for example, click on the small arrow to enable expanded view of it so it shows all 3 graphs at the same time). Next go into image, adjust, curves, select B (blue channel) in the drop down menu and you can reduce the blue level of the curve by adding a point onto the curve and dragging it slightly down, by enabling the 3 histograms you can visually ensure each R G B curve peak is in the same position (and not clipped off the graph) to ensure your r g b colours are balanced.

Just an idea for you to try, I don't use PI or any automated processing.

Edited by Elp

Elp , I ran 10s, 120s in rgb and 180sand 300s in Ha then combined . Ha instead of Luminance is a pointer from another astro buddy. His processing skills are phenomenal . I'll attempt to give it another go until it starts looking the way I want it , challenging it is . I wish the magic wand could show me the way.

Andromeda-galaxy-m31-combin.jpg

6 hours ago, stepping beyond said:

Elp , I ran 10s, 120s in rgb and 180sand 300s in Ha then combined . Ha instead of Luminance is a pointer from another astro buddy. His processing skills are phenomenal . I'll attempt to give it another go until it starts looking the way I want it , challenging it is . I wish the magic wand could show me the way.

Andromeda-galaxy-m31-combin.jpg

Ha is not a suitable substitute for luminance on broadband targets such as m31. It can be blended into the red and/or luminance channels to add specific details but not replace them entirely. 

• Like 1