SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is it possible to use a telescope (Mak) without a dew shield

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

All depends on your local dewing conditions. Where I live usually used a mak without a dew shield for an hour or more with no dewing problems.

If it gets dew that doesn’t damage the equipment though?

Apology for my ignorance, I’m new to this !

we all get dew sometimes on our scopes. A little is OK, but dont try to dry it with anything - just let it dry off naturally indoors. No touching!

You could probably make a temporary dew shield with a piece of cardboard and some tape?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dakuwaqa said:

If it gets dew that doesn’t damage the equipment though?

Apology for my ignorance, I’m new to this !

It won’t damage the scope, they are built to be out in cold and damp conditions. As said, just bring in indoors afterwards and let it dry off naturally. Never put the covers on and store the scope before it has dried out properly as otherwise you can get fungus growing which could damage the coatings.

Hi & welcome to SGL!

I'm a regular Mak 127 user, I'm sure more experienced heads will comment but my I've been out with the Mak across the last year on all sorts of nights. 

A bit of dew on the scope won't hurt as long as you allow it to dry before putting it away. It will rapidly shorten your viewing sessions though! For that reason, an AstroZap dew shield was pretty much the first accessory I bought and its been amazing, certainly haven't needed to go in for dew heaters or anything so far. 

There's no reason not to get out there without one though, not all nights are dewy and worst case you realise after half an hour that its all gone misty! The one thing I would say is if you do dew up, resist the temptation to wipe the collector lens which might damage some of the coatings :) 

You can make a dew shield incredibly easily - if you have a foam camping roll mat, get the scissors out and cut a strip that will stick out about 20cm or more beyond the lens. Stick it on with gaffer tape, it won't look pretty but it will work (one night I forgot my dewshield so wrapped the foam padding I use to cushion the OTA in my backpack and it worked fine). 

The Mak is a brilliant tool which punches well above its weight in optical terms and is robust and portable - get out there as often as possible :) 

Clear skies! 

• Like 1

A dew shield for a Maksutov or SCT should be regarded as a standard item, not an optional extra. Manufacturers clearly do not like to include them because it makes their product look big and naff.  But all refractors have dew shields. 🙂

As others have said, it is easy to make a dew shield out of cardboard etc if you don't want to pay for a smarter looking one.

As said by fellow SGL’ers you can use a Mak/SCT without a dew shield without any issues. But it is useful to have and I agree that they should come as part of the package deal.

Even if you do or do not attend a star party it will also inquisitive fingers from touching the meniscus cell/corrector plate with greasy/sticky fingers too!

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

Above image of my ‘re-modded’ ETX105 c/w dew shield on mounted on a ‘DwarfStar’ mount and a photo/video tripod.