SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Usb 3 port on guidecam connecting with USB 2 cable

I now have a zwo asi294mc pro and will be connecting my zwo asi120mc-s guidecam to it for guiding. My question stupidly is, as the port on the 120 is usb 3 and the cable to connect to the USB 2 port on the 294 is a USB 2 cable will it still guide ok or should I use a USB 3 cable? My thinking is that the USB 2 cable is suffcient on the USB 3 port, dispite the connection being slightly different. 

That all probably sounds like gibberish haha 

Edited by AstroNebulee

Yes, it will work fine over usb2. Be aware though, that the usb2 b type connectors are different to usb3 b type connectors, so you may need to use a usb3 cable - although usb2 type b cables do fit in a usb3 type b connection, I'm not sure they actually work properly and I've never been inclined to try. 

Edit: I've actually now read your post properly and realised you already know the connectors are different, haha!

Edited by The Lazy Astronomer
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

Yes, it will work fine over usb2. Be aware though, that the usb2 b type connectors are different to usb3 b type connectors, so you may need to use a usb3 cable - although usb2 type b cables do fit in a usb3 type b connection, I'm not sure they actually work properly and I've never been inclined to try. 

Edit: I've actually now read your post properly and realised you already know the connectors are different, haha!

The USB2 cables work fine in the ZWO cameras I have. I have not checked, but it seems like the USB3 connector they used is designed to accept both cables.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

6 hours ago, rnobleeddy said:

The USB2 cables work fine in the ZWO cameras I have. I have not checked, but it seems like the USB3 connector they used is designed to accept both cables.

Thank you for your help, yep the USB 2b cable is different to the usb3 b one, next night I get to try it I'll take out my spare usb3 b cable just incase. 

Edited by AstroNebulee

13 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

I now have a zwo asi294mc pro and will be connecting my zwo asi120mc-s guidecam to it for guiding.

I use 2 ZWO cameras and one of them is USB2 and other is USB3. Both cables have a USBx specific port on the end where they connect to camera and a standard USB port at other end which connects to laptop. I have them connected to my RPi which has 2 ports which can handle USB3 and 2 which are for USB2, so I connect accordingly. I have tried doing it the other way too and that also works.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

I use 2 ZWO cameras and one of them is USB2 and other is USB3. Both cables have a USBx specific port on the end where they connect to camera and a standard USB port at other end which connects to laptop. I have them connected to my RPi which has 2 ports which can handle USB3 and 2 which are for USB2, so I connect accordingly. I have tried doing it the other way too and that also works.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,  I think it will be ok for my set up, basically a USB2 cable connecting into the USB 3 port on the 120. Thus cable does go to a USB2 port on the 294 so shouldn't be any issues. 👍