Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eqmod crashing whenever starting up on new laptop

5haan_A

Hi guys,

Running into an issue. I recently purchased a new laptop, and despite downloading the programmes and drivers the same as what I had on the old one the EQMOD program keeps on crashing when it tries to boot. It goes unresponsive and I have to close it with task manager. 

It appears to be the same whether I open it from Cdc Phd or from the run eqmod script. Also its worth adding that when on the

I am connecting directly to the mount via a USB to my laptop, the mount is an eq6r pro, I am running windows 10 20H2, I believe all other drivers and stuff like the Ascom platform are up to date. 

Everything worked fine on the the old laptop, so thankfully I don't think its a mechanical issue.

These are the driver settings below from the toolbox

Capture.PNG.42cdfcec85e59c229f5f6679aa063246.PNG

Best,

Edited by 5haan_A
added more info

1 minute ago, scotty38 said:

Don't know what difference it will make to your issue but baud rate usually needs to be 115200

Its in the EQMOD quick start guide as 9600, not sure what difference it would make though.

6 minutes ago, redfox1971 said:

Sounds like wrong usb port selected?.

I usually just press the binoculars to find the right port, it did say found so I feel like its connected, and when I have had port connection issues in the past the programme actually loads up and shows a connect port error or something like that. 

17 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Don't know what difference it will make to your issue but baud rate usually needs to be 115200

Baud rate is only 115200 when the mount is the newer type with a USB socket and direct USB connection, with standard EQMOD cable it should be 9600

Edited by Stuart1971

With a serial port connection error, the driver will pop up and then shut down, and not open…this had been my experience…sounds like this to me, look in the device manger and find the correct port, and choose it from the list and don’t use auto connect….👍🏼

Thanks, none of that seems to work.

It does say that its found the right port, the binoculars work fine.

The app doesn't close and then reopen, rather it opens and then goes frozen and unresponsive.

Best,

Just now, 5haan_A said:

Thanks, none of that seems to work.

It does say that its found the right port, the binoculars work fine.

The app doesn't close and then reopen, rather it opens and then goes frozen and unresponsive.

Best,

If it’s freezing and not working, how do you know you have the correct port…?

Just now, Stuart1971 said:

8 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Click the little binocular icon that you can see in your screenshot and it will find the port for you - saves going into device manager

In my experience depending on what chipset you have in the EQMOD cable, that does not always work correctly, if it’s an FTDI then the port won’t change once it’s been connected once, if it’s a Prolific, then it will change every time, that’s if it works at all…

Just now, Stuart1971 said:

In the EQMOD toolbox when you go through the driver setup process, the one in the screen shot, you can choose a port or have the binoculars find one for you. 

3 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Plus I have had port issues in the past, what tends to happen is as you mentioned the app will close and then reopen continuously, or it will say connect port error. This current issue isn't like that.

3 minutes ago, 5haan_A said:

In the EQMOD toolbox when you go through the driver setup process, the one in the screen shot, you can choose a port or have the binoculars find one for you. 

Yes I get how it works, but it may point you towards a port that is incorrect, if that port number has been used before and it’s changed, my point is check in device manager and just make sure it’s the correct one, as it has been known to throw the wrong port out which will confuse everything….EQMOD is an old driver that’s no longer updated, and with modern windows systems it can be pain from time to time, I have had my share of issues with it, and torn my hair out sometimes….with its quirks…

Ok good news. It’s working. Bad news I have no idea why it’s working. I reinstalled everything for the 4th time. I’m connected and slewing.

But genuinely no idea why it’s working now and it wasn’t before.