Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar 8se mount

The 8SE mount was originally designed for the 5” SCT and while the 8SE is usable the mount is at its absolute limit with the 8” OTA. 

Celestron does the 8” SCT on a beefier mount.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-nexstar-evolution-8-sct-telescope.html

Edited by johninderby

I had an 8 SE years ago. The mount isn't that bad but don't kick the legs! There is some vibration after focusing the telescope but putting in on vibration suppression pads, that Celestron sell, he'll considerably if you are on a hard surface. On the grass just push the tripod legs in.

Also, you need to make sure you've enough clearance to point the scope to the zenith as there's not much space with the 8 inch tube and you need to watch the cord wrapping around the mount. There's a setting to stop it happening in the handset.

I eventually used mine on a computerised CG5 mount which sorted out all the above issues. I only sold the 8SE whe I switched to astrophotograpy and bought an EQ6.

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The 8SE mount was originally designed for the 5” SCT and while the 8SE is usable the mount is at its absolute limit with the 8” OTA. 

Celestron does the 8” SCT on a beefier mount.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-nexstar-evolution-8-sct-telescope.html

The 5 inch scope was sold on the smaller mount which was also sold with the 4 inch scope. The larger mount could also be bought with the 6 inch.

I do agree the Evolution is the better setup but it wasn't around when I bought my 8SE. I didn't find the 8SE any problem for viewing as long as I didn't try to use my husband's 13mm Ethos eyepiece on it. Too heavy. It was happier with the 22 mm Nagler which was perfect for most targets.

There are two versions of the SE mount. One for the 4 inch and 5 inch tubes and a bigger one for 6 and 8 inch tubes. Backlash in the motors limits the use of the SE mounts for imaging but I found mine fine for visual use. I had the 6 inch version and loved it. So quick to set up.

• Like 1

The Nexstar 5i came with the bigger mount now used for the 6” and 8” OTAs not the smaller mount now used for the 4” and 5” OTAs. Used to have one and while it was rock solid the OTA was not removable.

30635308-EDBF-43B2-9339-5F6B4706A4A1.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

The SE mount used with the C8 is what it is - a lightweight portable mount suitable for visual use, but not for imaging.  It can be used for planetry imaging, though the backlash is a bit annoying in this role.  The whole assembly can be picked up and carried outside through a domestic doorway.

The same OTA is available bundled with the Evolution mount - a better quality mount, or with the AVX (if you want an equatorial GoTo), or in the form of the CPC800, which has a heavy-duty twin-fork alt-azimuth GoTo mount. This is a great mount for visual observing, or planetary imaging, if you don't need an equatorial and don't mind the considerable weight.