Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MY first nebula too.

After what seemed weeks of cloud cover since i bought my first scope just been out for an hour and half, couldn't move away from ORION NEBULA 😁.  You know what it's like WOW. sorry it's only a easy nebula but. Wow. Well happy. 

• Like 20

Yeah, M 42 is a jewel. I have been looking at it for 45 years on and off and it never tires. Back then with young eyes I could see the greens and resolve the trapezium.

Now I put a camera on it and discover the depth of the nebulosity, the colour and its surroundings. Yes it's "easy" but every session I take yields different results, all startlingly beautiful.

I often wonder that if it wasn't for M 42, M 31 or M 45 few of us would take up AP. 

• Like 1

I always thought it would be my very first nebula to photograph (recently got my first telescope as well), but surprisingly I didn’t look at it yet. Probably because Orion rises relatively late and is relatively short in the sky for me (quite some obstructions from my backyard). But I’m sure I’ll get to it soon if these damn clouds ever disappear :p

• Like 1

Excitement justified and mandatory!

I saw it for the first time back in October.

I was blown away, what a truly amazing and wondorus sight! 

Haven't managed too enjoy it since due to a combination of, cloud, not getting up early enough/staying up late enough!

Here's to the next viewing...!

Clear Skies!

• Like 1

Is it possible to go out at this time of year, with a clear sky and NOT look at it? Doesn't matter if it's just your eyes, through binoculars or a telescope it's always worth a look. Especially through a telescope it's a definite "Wow!" object and there's always more to see.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WEASEL007 said:

After what seemed weeks of cloud cover since i bought my first scope just been out for an hour and half, couldn't move away from ORION NEBULA 😁.  You know what it's like WOW. sorry it's only a easy nebula but. Wow. Well happy. 

Glad you got to view it Weasel007.

I viewed M42 with a Astronomik UHC Filter with my 8se, wonderful.

Congratulations!

I got to play with the new telescope a week or two ago finally and did alot of Orion spotting. One of the nicest this time of year, I found some new depth with UHC / OIII filters which enhanced it even more.

I also love the Pleiades cluster, totally magic :) 

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 16:59, Mick H said:

Agree wibblefish, I have had wonderful views in my Orion 25x100 Giant View Bino's of Pleiades.

Waiting for clear skies to give my new TS 82mm bins their inaugural outing.

I have matching APM UFF 24mm eps and two TV ultra band filters waiting to hit both of M42 and M45 although no filters on the latter. 

• Like 1