Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whirlpool Galaxy Tonight (WARNING BIG FILE)

I got the astrotrac out tonight and tried not to get to excited.The last time went wrong with exposures.

This image was taken in the vicinity of Alkaid . I was trying to image the whirlpool galaxy or there a bouts.

This image was taken with 5 exposures and 5 darks @ 30secs using a 40D & 135/2 L lens @ f2.5

I think I can just make out the galaxy in the top right hand corner.

Any thoughts about how to improve my image would be appreciated.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19616&d=1236212467

Hi Coco,

I am on a different computer so I dont have CS3 to work on the image, but I reduced the size a bit to bring in M51 which you have imaged. It is top right, easy to make out, but obviosly small.

Click on the image to increase the size, and you will see M51 top right.

Ron.:lol:

post-13213-133877358686_thumb.jpg

Another suggestion is to join the Astrometry group on Flickr - If you upload your photo there, the Astrometry server will identify anything it can find in the image - see this example - I only uploaded that image about 30 minutes ago, and its been tagged already!

Tis a pretty good feature :lol:

Cheers,

Richie

If it's a quick fix your after then isolate M51 as a layer on it's own and then darken the background & brighten the new layer. Not an ideal solution but at least the "orange glow" is reduced without the loss of too many stars.

I wanted to know how to get a less orange colour yet capture as many stars? :lol:

Coco, have you looked at the following website Catching the Light by Jerry Lodriguss. http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/DIGTECHS.HTM

It has lots of handy info such as making the background a neutral tone.

I have used Adobe Photoshop to balance the background without, I hope, losing any stars whilst removing the orange colour.

post-13707-133877358826_thumb.jpg

Coco, a decent LP filter will go a LONG way to making your images more contrasty and daker skied, but they wont solve everything.

When you take the image, dont let the histogram move too far to the right, no more than a third over for the peak.

To rescue other images, try Pixinsight as has been mentioned. Get the free LE version. This will also sort out that bit of vignetting you have and enable you to stretch the image a little bit further. The instructions are easy, but if you get stuck, PM me.

TJ

• 3 weeks later...

Archived